Muddy Buddy Cookies Recipe - delicious sweet and salty muddy buddy cookies with chocolate, peanut butter, chex cereal and powdered sugar!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Delicious and Easy Chocolate Muddy Buddy Cookies
Muddy buddies are delicious and simple cookies to make.
These are the perfect, no-bake, Chex cereal mix of crunchy, chocolatey, and peanut buttery goodness.
Muddy buddy cookies using my recipe stay in perfect, irresistible clusters.
This is the easiest recipe to make. I love no-bake cookies because they're a great way to introduce kids to cooking and baking without the stress of dealing with too much heat.
People call these muddy buddies or puppy chow - I like to make them with my kids around the holidays and call them reindeer chow.
How to Make Muddy Buddy Cookies
Muddy buddy cookies are super simple to make - but there are a couple of steps that are best to follow in order to be sure your cookies turn out perfect, every time!
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter into a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat. Keep microwaving and stirring at 15-second intervals until the mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Measure cereal. Pour your cereal into a very large bowl. Pour ⅓ of the chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir. Repeat two more times until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Spoon dollops of the chocolate-cereal cookie mix onto parchment-lined trays. You can also use waxed paper to cool. I prefer to make these about two tablespoons-worth clusters (which will make them about two bites)
- Place trays in the freezer for 30 minutes or the refrigerator for 2 hours to allow the cookies to harden.
- Pour powdered sugar into a bowl. Working one at a time, set the cluster in the powdered sugar and either roll or spoon additional sugar over to coat it. Tap off excess sugar and place the cookie back on the sheet. Repeat with your remaining cookies.
Tips to Perfect Muddy Buddy Cookies & FAQs
I don't let these sit at room temperature. I keep them in the refrigerator or freezer to keep the clusters together. I store them in an airtight container.
These get messy! That's the fun of them, but be prepared. I like to keep napkins on hand.
Because of the powdered sugar, I like to make these with semi-sweet chocolate chips. I've noticed that the nicer the chocolate, the better they stay together in cookie-like clusters.
When I make them with white chocolate, they don't cluster together as well, but they're still delicious. If you do them with white chocolate, use a tablespoon less butter.
Absolutely, almond butter is a great alternative for those who are sensitive to peanuts. I love the flavor combo of chocolate and almond butter.
My recipe calls for creamy peanut butter, but if you want to use crunchy to get that extra crunch, add an extra teaspoon
Sure! I tried them with sun butter to tuck them into my kids' lunchboxes and they loved them!
Other Easy Cookies You'll Love
If you love these easy muddy buddy cookies, be sure to check out our other easy cookie recipes!
Some of our favorite cookie recipes include our Salted Caramel Butter Thumbprint Cookies Recipe, Easy Gingerbread Truffles Recipe, Easy Millionaire Shortbread Bites Recipe, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Cookies, The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe, 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies, and some of our recent cookie recipes below:
Muddy Buddy Cookies Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Super simple fun muddy buddies are sweet little no-bake nutty packets that you will love!
- 1 & ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into slices
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups rice chex cereal
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter into a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir. Microwave another 30 seconds, stir. Keep microwaving at 15-second intervals until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place the cereal in a very large bowl. Add ⅓ of the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Repeat 2 more times until the cereal is evenly coated.
- In parchment-lined sheet trays, add 2 tablespoon-sized dollops of the cereal mixture, not touching onto the trays. I like to gently pack the cluster with the back of a spoon to make sure the cereal is sticking to itself.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or the fridge for 2 hours so they can harden.
- Place the powdered sugar in a bowl. One at a time, place a cookie cluster in the powdered sugar and coat it. Tap off the excess and place the cookie back on the sheet tray. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
These cookies need to be kept in the fridge or freezer. If they become room temperature, the clusters will not stick together as well.
Fair warning, these a TOTALLY messy, make sure you have a napkin or plate on hand to catch falling powdered sugar, but such a fun treat! You can make them as big or little as you like, but I keep them to 1-2 bites sized so they are easier to eat.
You know when you make regular muddy buddies and there are those clusters that don’t always get separated when you are coating them in powdered sugar. These are those amazing clusters but in done internationally, my favorite part!
You can use any type of chocolate chips you want, I prefer semi-sweet since we use so much powdered sugar, the end result isn’t overly sweet.
Make sure you use good-quality chocolate that melts easily.
You can use chunky peanut butter or even add chopped peanuts to the mixture or other nuts!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
BOVADO USA 4 Quart Glass Bowl for Storage, Mixing, Serving - Clear, Dishwasher, Freezer & Oven Safe Premium Quality Glass, Easy-Clean, 4 QT
USA Pan Bakeware Cookie Sheet, Large, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel,Silver
365 by Whole Foods Market, Sugar Powdered Organic, 24 Ounce
Amount Per Serving Calories 80Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 3mgSodium 18mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.