Chipotle Knockoff Cilantro Lime Rice
Sep 30, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious zesty rice has a sharp lime kick and is a perfect side for any of your Mexican favorites!
This recipe has been updated since it’s original publishing date in 2015.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Fresh Cilantro Lime Rice
One of our absolute favorite restaurants is Chipotle- we love their burritos, burrito bowls, and all of their fillings. One of my kids absolute favorite things from Chipotle though is their rice- the slightly sweet, buttery, cilantro and lime packed delicious rice that they make so well. Today I am sharing my favorite new technique for making a Chipotle Knockoff Cilantro Lime Rice– and it’s incredibly quick and easy!
Now, this won’t cut down on our frequent trips (I dont care how similar my foods tastes- there is just nothing compared to fresh Chipotle burritos that I don’t have to cook)- but it can help my kids satisfy their love for their rice in between trips!
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
To make this recipe, we need the following ingredients:
- Butter: Adds a rich, creamy texture and enhances the overall flavor.
- Cilantro: Provides a fresh and zesty kick that contrasts well with the richness of the butter.
- Lime Juice: Lends tanginess and brightens up the dish, complementing the cilantro.
- Water: The cooking medium for the rice, pretty straightforward!
- Basmati Rice: A long-grain rice that’s aromatic and fluffy, serving as the perfect base for the other flavors to shine.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use this process:
- In a large, heavy pan, melt butter on high. Add in 1/2 cilantro and lime juice. Cook until butter is foamy, add rice.
- Stir rice and let butter absorb, slightly toasting the rice. Add water and turn heat to high. When water is boiling, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Let sit 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let “steam”, 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork and add 1 tsp lime juice and second 1/2 cilantro. Serve!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Cilantro Lime Rice
Rinse the Rice: Wash it until the water runs clear to remove excess starch. This makes the rice less gummy.
Use a Good-Quality Lime: Fresh, juicy limes will make a difference.
Cooking Liquid: You can use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor.
Butter or Oil: If you prefer, you can use olive oil instead of butter for a lighter touch.
Fluff, Don’t Stir: Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork rather than stirring to keep it from getting mushy.
Cilantro Timing: Add half while cooking and half afterward for a burst of fresh flavor.
Taste and Adjust: After it’s cooked, taste and add more lime or salt as needed.
Cooking Method: Consider using a rice cooker for consistent results.
Leftovers: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat gently with a splash of water.
Don’t Rush: Letting the rice sit for a few minutes after cooking helps with texture.
Yes, but adjust the cooking time as brown rice takes longer to cook.
Absolutely! Use olive oil or vegan butter instead of regular butter.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes, you can! Just make sure it’s cooled completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container.
You may have used too much water, or stirred the rice while cooking.
It’s great with grilled meats, in burrito bowls, or as a stand-alone side.
Yes, but it’ll have a different, yet still delicious, citrusy flavor.
Fresh is best, but in a pinch, you can use dried cilantro. Use it sparingly, as it’s more concentrated.
No, but it does give the best aromatic and fluffy results. Jasmine rice is a good alternative.
Yes! Follow your rice cooker’s guidelines for water-to-rice ratio and add the other ingredients accordingly.
What to Serve With Cilantro Lime Rice
Grilled Chicken: Especially if it’s marinated in a lime or citrus-based sauce.
Fish Tacos: The zesty rice compliments the flavors of fish tacos excellently.
Fajitas: Whether it’s chicken, beef, or veggie, fajitas and this rice are a match made in heaven.
Chili: A spicier chili is nicely balanced out by the refreshing tang of the rice.
Burrito Bowls: Use the rice as the base and pile on your favorite toppings like guac, sour cream, and salsa.
Quesadillas: Serve it on the side to add a fresh element to cheesy quesadillas.
Steak: Particularly good with a citrus-marinated steak or carne asada.
Pork Carnitas: The rich flavors of the pork go well with the light and zesty rice.
Fresh Veggies: Keep it simple and light with some grilled or roasted vegetables.
Chipotle Knockoff Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup cilantro, diced , divided
- 1 oz lime juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- In a large, heavy pan, melt butter on high.
- Add in 1/2 cilantro and lime juice.
- Cook until butter is foamy, add rice.
- Stir rice and let butter absorb, slightly toasting the rice.
- Add water and turn heat to high.
- When water is boiling, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Let sit 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let "steam", 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork and add 1 tsp lime juice and second 1/2 cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Simply Gourmet Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 12 Stainless Steel for Cooking & Baking
Zulay Metal 2-In-1 Lemon Lime Squeezer - Hand Juicer Lemon Squeezer Gets Every Last Drop - Max Extraction Manual Citrus Juicer - Easy-to-Use Lemon Juicer Squeezer - Heavy-Duty Lemon Squeezer Manual
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Sauce Pan with Lid, 3-Quart, Silver
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 104Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 15mgSodium 51mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.