Ranch Trail Mix
Feb 27, 2023, Updated Feb 05, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ranch flavored Chex Mix is a savory and crunchy snack that combines the classic flavor of ranch with a variety of textures and shapes.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Ranch Flavored Chex Mix
Ranch flavored Chex Mix is a delicious blend of various textures and flavors, such as crispy corn Chex cereal, crunchy pretzels, and zesty ranch seasoning. The combination of these elements results in a savory, tangy, and slightly spicy taste, making it an irresistible snack for any occasion.
The mix’s crunchy texture and varied shapes make it an excellent snack for parties, gatherings, road trips, or even just a quick and easy snack to enjoy at home!
Ranch seasoning is a blend of herbs, spices, and other flavorings used to make ranch dressing and add ranch flavor to other dishes. The exact ingredients in ranch seasoning can vary, but it typically includes a mixture of dried herbs such as dill, parsley, and chives, garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, and sometimes buttermilk powder. The seasoning is usually mixed with a base of sour cream, mayo, or yogurt to make ranch dressing, or sprinkled on snacks like Chex Mix, popcorn, or chips for a tangy and savory flavor.
Ranch seasoning can be made at home or purchased pre-mixed at most grocery stores!
How to Make Ranch Chex Mix
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Rice Chex cereal: Provides a light and crispy texture to the mix, as well as a neutral base for the other flavors to stand out.
- Cashews: Add a rich and buttery flavor and a satisfying crunch to the mix.
- Pretzels: Provide a salty and slightly sweet contrast to the other ingredients and a satisfying crunch.
- Cheese crackers: Bring a savory and cheesy flavor to the mix that pairs well with the ranch seasoning.
- Oyster crackers: Add a crispy and cracker-like texture to the mix and help absorb the ranch seasoning for maximum flavor.
- Unsalted butter: Melts into the mix during baking to help distribute the seasoning and add a rich and buttery flavor.
- Ranch seasoning dry powder: The star ingredient that provides the tangy, zesty, and savory flavor that gives the mix its name.
- Grated parmesan: Adds a salty and nutty flavor to the mix that complements the ranch seasoning and cheese crackers.
- Dried parsley flakes: Add a pop of color and a mild herbal flavor that balances out the other savory and salty elements of the mix.
To make this recipe, we will use the following steps:
- Prep. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large rimmed jelly roll sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix. In an extra large mixing bowl, combine rice cereal, cashews, pretzels, cheese crackers, and oyster crackers. Gently toss with large slotted spoons. Melt butter in microwave and toss together with mixture in bowl. Combine ranch seasoning powder, grated parmesan, and dried parsley. Sprinkle over mixture then gently toss together.
- Bake. Pour mixture evenly over prepared pan. Bake in oven 30 minutes, tossing mixture halfway through baking.
- Cool. Allow to cool then store in airtight container. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Ranch Trail Mix
Store properly. Homemade ranch Chex Mix can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. However, it’s important to make sure the mix has cooled completely before storing it to prevent moisture build-up, which can cause it to become stale or even moldy. It’s also a good idea to stir or shake the mix occasionally while it’s in storage to redistribute the seasoning and ensure that all the components stay fresh and crunchy. If you want to extend its shelf life, you can store it in the refrigerator or freezer for up to a month or two, respectively.
Yes, you can use gluten-free Chex cereal and pretzels to make a gluten-free version of ranch Chex Mix.
Yes, you can use any type of seasoning you prefer or experiment with different flavor combinations. Some popular alternatives to ranch seasoning include garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika.
Absolutely! You can add nuts, seeds, dried fruits, or any other crunchy or chewy snack you like. Just keep in mind that some ingredients may affect the shelf life of the mix, so adjust the storage time accordingly.
Yes, you can easily make a big batch of ranch Chex Mix and store it in an airtight container for up to two weeks. It’s a great snack to have on hand for impromptu get-togethers, school or work lunches, or when you need a quick and easy snack.
While you can technically reheat the mix to restore its crunchiness, it’s not recommended. Heating the mix can cause the seasoning to become too intense or even burn the ingredients, ruining the flavor and texture. It’s better to make a fresh batch if the mix becomes stale.
What to Serve With Ranch Chex Mix
Ranch Chex Mix is a versatile snack that can be served on its own or paired with other foods. Here are some ideas for what to serve with ranch Chex Mix:
- Fresh vegetables: Serve ranch Chex Mix with a plate of fresh carrots, celery, bell peppers, or cucumber slices for a refreshing and healthy snack.
- Cheese and crackers: Add some variety to your snack spread by serving ranch Chex Mix with a selection of cheese and crackers. The creamy and savory flavor of the ranch pairs well with a variety of cheeses, from sharp cheddar to creamy brie.
- Sandwiches: Pair ranch Chex Mix with your favorite sandwich for a quick and easy lunch. The crunchy texture and zesty flavor of the mix will add some extra crunch and flavor to your sandwich.
- Party platter: Create a colorful and tasty party platter by serving ranch Chex Mix with a variety of other snacks, such as fresh fruit, nuts, olives, or hummus.
- Drinks: Serve ranch Chex Mix with your favorite beverage, such as a cold beer, sparkling water, or lemonade, for a satisfying snack and drink combo.
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 5 cups rice cereal such as Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups cashews
- 5 cups pretzels
- 3 cups cheese crackers
- 2 cups oyster crackers
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ounce ranch seasoning dry powder
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large rimmed jelly roll sheet with parchment paper.
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine rice cereal, cashews, pretzels, cheese crackers, and oyster crackers.
- Gently toss with large slotted spoons.
- Melt butter in microwave and toss together with mixture in bowl.
- Combine ranch seasoning powder, grated parmesan, and dried parsley.
- Sprinkle over mixture then gently toss together.
- Pour mixture evenly over prepared pan.
- Bake in oven 30 minutes, tossing mixture halfway through baking.
- Allow to cool then store in airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning & Salad Dressing Mix, 16 Oz (Pack Of 2)
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Set of 2, Aluminized Steel
Spurtles Kitchen Tools As Seen On TV, 7Pcs Wooden Spurtle Set Spatula Set, Natural Premium Acacia Wooden Spoons for Cooking Heat Resistant Cooking Utensil for Nonstick Cookware, Salad, Mixing, Serving
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 274Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 8mgSodium 571mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 7g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.