The Best Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Ever Recipe – easy and delicious classic chicken wings that are crunchy and delicious with a rich and savory spicy sauce!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Crunchy Gluten Free Baked Chicken Wings
If you’re looking for crispy, crunchy classic chicken wings – baked to perfection in the oven – these chicken wings will be your new favorite!
These crispy oven baked chicken wings are juicy and tender every time, with a crunchy crust that tastes deep fried.
This method for perfect baked chicken wings never fails to deliver… it’s one of our all time favorite chicken wing recipes!
I hope you love these baked chicken wings as much as I do – and be sure to check out my baked Lemon Garlic Parmesan wings while you’re here!
How to Bake Chicken Wings
Baking chicken wings in the oven can be a dreadfully messy job to clean up – but with a couple of tips and tricks, you can bake and sauce your chicken wings without making a huge mess.
-Line a baking sheet with foil.
-When chicken has cooked, let sit on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Then move wings to bowl to get coated in sauce.
- When cooked, add wings to a large bowl.
- Melt butter and add sauce, mixing in a small sauce pot until combined and butter is melted.
- Toss cooked chicken wings in sauce in the bowl to coat.
Tips to Easy Clean Baked Chicken Wings & FAQs
Pat Wings Dry. We’re using the fat in the chicken wings to crisp them without frying – which is easier if wings are completely dry going into the oven. Excess liquid from packaging or water on your wings can cause wings to steam instead of crisp – making skin soggier. Quickly pat wings dry with a paper towel to get a crispier wing.
Cook on wire racks. Cooking chicken wings on a wire rack encourages better air circulation all around the chicken wings, which will help them cook faster and crisp more. Lightly grease wire racks with olive oil, coconut oil, or another fat you prefer to make it less likely to stick to the chicken wings.
Toss in Sauce Last. This will help to reduce any chance for your wings to get soggy from the sauce. Make sure to use from the oven hot wings – the sauce sticks better to hotter wings what have been patted dry with paper towels to remove excess oil and fat and then tossed with sauce.
Cut chicken wings to save money. I often buy flats of chicken wings from my grocery store because they are much more affordable – and often more fresh! Cutting your own chicken wings saves a ton of money, so I try to always trim my own chicken wings whenever I can. For this recipe, you can use the whole wing intact – but I find the texture is the best when I cut them.
How to cut chicken wings. To cut chicken wings into thirds – flat, drumette, and tip of the wing – follow the instructions below:
- Using a sharp large chefs knife, feel for the joints between the 3 main parts to a chicken wing – the wing tip, the flats, and the drumette.
- Bend the joints backwards, using your hands, to get them to loosen.
- Use your knife to feel where the bones come together, and pressing down hard, cut through the joint. (You don’t want to try to cut the bone – but find the space in between the bones.)
- While you can cook wing tips, they often dont have much (if any) meat to them. Discard any that don’t look to offer you much meat.
If your wings are done cooking, but you want a bit more crunch, pop them under the broiler for a few minutes (make sure they don’t burn) to crisp up all sides of the wings.
Chicken wings are a great filling low carb meal – many sauces have no or little sugars, but check labels carefully since the sauce you pick will have the biggest impact on carbs for this dish.
Often when you buy chicken wings you get the whole wing – not separated into drumsticks, flats, and the tip. You can cook them whole, but we prefer cutting them to allow the wings get crunchier and crispier. It is totally up to you, however.
Other Chicken Wings You’ll Love
If you love the best baked chicken wings recipe, please be sure to check out my other chicken wing recipes you are sure to love!
- Cajun Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- Air Fried Nandos Chicken Wings Recipe
- Lemon Garlic Parmesan Baked Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Tinga Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken Wings Recipe
- Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings Recipe
- The Best Instant Pot Chicken Wings Recipe
The Best Baked Chicken Wings Recipe Ever
If you love the best baked chicken wings recipe ever as much as I do, please give it a five star rating (just click the stars below) and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
The Best Baked Chicken Wings
The Best Baked Chicken Wings Ever Recipe - easy and delicious classic chicken wings that are crunchy and delicious with a rich and savory spicy sauce!
- 2 lbs chicken wings, cut into thirds (wing tips, drumettes, flats)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup Franks Hot buffalo sauce or hot peri peri sauce
To Bake Crispy Wings:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line two large baking sheets (with a large rim) with parchment paper or foil.
- Set a wire rack (preferably a nonstick rack, or lightly greased) over baking sheets.
- Pat chicken wings dry with paper towels.
- Divide wings between wire racks and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, 45–50 minutes.
- For extra crunch, broil under broiler on high for 2-3 minutes per side - watch CAREFULLY to make sure wings don't burn or over-crisp.
For the Sauce:
- Melt butter in sauce pot until foamy.
- Vigorously whisk in sauce until well combined.
To Coat the Buffalo Wings:
- Pat wings dry out of oven with paper towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, add wings.
- Drizzle sauce over wings and toss vigorously until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Buffalo Wild Wings Sauce Variety Sampler Bundle - Parmesan Garlic, Honey BBQ, Asian Zing, Caribbean Jerk - 12 ounces each
Hooters Wing Sauce, Medium, 12 oz
8 Quart, Set of 2, Mixing Bowls, Stainless Steel, Professional Chef, Commercial Kitchen, by Winco, 13.25 Inches Diameter, Flat Base
10 Pcs 18/8 Stainless Steel Plate 304 Stainless Steel Dishes 8 Inches Adult Plates Reusable Camping Plates Dishwasher Safe Feeding Serving Flat Plate Double Layers Round Dessert Plate (Silver)
Metal Chicken Rack BBQ Wing/Leg Rack BBQ Rack, Chicken Leg Wing Grill Rack Barbecue Rack, Stainless Steel Barbecue Rack Camping Outdoor for Home
Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, 12 Fl Oz, Pack of 2
Nando's Extra Extra Hot PERi-PERi Sauce - Gluten Free | Non GMO l 4.7 Oz (4 Pack)
Serving Size2 wing pieces
Amount Per Serving Calories 290Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 73mgSodium 504mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 13g
I love a good crunchy chicken wing doused in spicy sauce! Thank you for all the tips…we loved these wings!
Oh my gosh! Courtney, these are SO good!! Thank you for sharing!!
Nothing like a great chicken wing recipe! My boys will love these! Thanks!
Best EVER super crispy wings ever made in the oven. We love this recipe!