Air Fryer Arancini Balls
Feb 27, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for a quick, easy, cheesy appetizer for your next party? Look no further because these air fryer arancini balls are sure to be a hit!
Also known as Italian Rice Balls, Arancini Balls are a popular street food in Sicily. These classic deep fried balls get a whole make-over with this Air Fryer Arancini Balls Recipe!
Easy Air Fryer Arancini Balls
Greasy fried foods aren’t the healthiest option when it comes to snacks, but making these arancini balls in your air fryer allows you to have a healthier, guilt free snack or appetizer. Plus, you won’t have to worry about cleaning up the greasy mess or having it pop you while you’re trying to cook them. These cheese stuffed rice balls are the perfect quick and easy appetizer or snack.
How To Make Air Fryer Arancini Balls
For this deliciously quick and easy rice appetizer, you will need the following ingredients:
- Arborio rice– You will need to cook your rice and let it cool to room temperature before rolling it into balls.
- Mozzarella cheese– Fresh is always best, but you can use packaged shredded mozzarella cheese if you prefer.
- Parsley– Chop fresh parsley in small pieces that can easily be mixed in with the rice.
- Breadcrumbs– I use Italian breadcrumbs because they are already packed with lots of herbs, spices, and flavor.
- Flour– Don’t pack your flour. Just scoop it into the measuring spoon and level it off with a butter knife.
- Italian seasoning– Although the breadcrumbs have Italian seasonings in them, adding a little more makes these rice balls super flavorful.
- Sea salt– Sea salt adds a little crunch and a delicious flavor to your end result.
- Eggs– Rolling the rice balls in beaten eggs before rolling in your seasoned bread crumbs helps the breading stick to your rice.
These delicious arancini balls are basically rice and parmesan rolled into a ball and covered in a deliciously seasoned breading. They come out crisp, cheesy and delicious every time. Follow the steps below for a quick and easy appetizer.
- First, cook your rice and allow it to cool to room temperature. Then, mix 2 cups of cooked arborio rice with 1 ½ cups of the shredded mozzarella and freshly chopped parsley.
- Roll the rice mixture into 14 equal balls. Then, preheat your air fryer to 360?.
- While the air fryer is preheating, mix the breadcrumbs, flour, Italian seasoning, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat your eggs. Then, dip each rice ball one at a time into the beaten eggs and roll them into the breading mixture, covering all sides.
- Place your rice balls into your air fryer basket and cook for 16-minutes, rolling them around halfway through.
- Serve with marinara sauce and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Arancini Balls and FAQs:
- If the rice is too sticky you can put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and then roll them; it will be easier to get them into a ball shape.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Cook the rice balls in batches if you need to.
- If you want even more flavor, add onions or bell peppers to the rice mixture.
- When breading the arancini balls, use the left hand for the egg mixture and the right hand for the bread crumbs. This will keep your wet and dry separate and eliminate some of the mess.
- If you have leftover rice, use it. Leftover rice works great for this recipe.
For this recipe, you will first need to cook your rice over medium-high heat on the stove top. Then, you will cook your breaded rice balls at 360?.
To cook your rice, ??bring 2 cups of water to boil over medium-high heat, add the rice, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Then, simmer the rice until the liquid is fully absorbed and your rice is al dente. It will take about 20-minutes.
If you already have precooked rice, you will need 5-minutes of preparation time and 10-15-minutes of cook time for this recipe. So, you can have fresh appetizers ready in about 20-minutes. However, if you need to cook your rice, you’ll need to add an additional 20-minutes to your total time.
It is best to serve arancini balls warm. This is because it ensures they have a creamy and cheesy center with a crispy exterior. If they get cold, you can easily plop them back in the air fryer for a few minutes. They are just as good fresh as they are reheated in the air fryer.
If you plan to eat your leftover arancini balls within two days, you can store them in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Keep in mind that after two days, they will dry out and become unappetizing.
Yes, you absolutely can! In fact, this is the best way to store leftovers as well. Prepare the arancini as directed and then place the prepared balls on a baking sheet and freeze for a couple of hours so they keep their shape. Then transfer them to a freezer bag and freeze until you are ready to air fry them. They may need a little longer in the air fryer if cooking them from frozen.
More Appetizers You’ll Love
Appetizers are great if you’re hosting a party or celebration, but who wants to spend all your time making appetizers. If you’re looking for more quick and easy appetizers to make, try my Easy Mini Crab Cakes, Spicy Vegan Samosas, or The Best Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites!
Air Fryer Arancini Balls Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 cups cooked arborio rice, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Mix 2 cups of cooked arborio rice (room temperature) with 1 ½ cups of shredded mozzarella and freshly chopped parsley.
- Roll into 14 equal balls and make breading mixture. (This is when you can preheat the air fryer to 360F). If it is too sticky you can put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and then roll them; it will be easier to get them into a ball shape.
- In a small bowl mix together breadcrumbs, flour, Italian seasoning, and salt and set aside.
- One at a time, dip a rice ball into the beaten egg and then roll into breading mixture covering all sides.
- Put rice balls in air fryer and cook for 16 minutes, lightly moving them around about halfway with tongs. Be sure not to crowd the air fryer, and work in batches if needed.
- Serve with marinara sauce and lightly garnished with fresh parsley.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 128Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 44mgSodium 381mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 6g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.