Banana Nutella Mummies
Oct 05, 2023, Updated Oct 18, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Banana Nutella mummies are a spooky delightful treat made by wrapping sweet bananas and creamy hazelnut spread in flaky puff pastry. When baked, they offer a perfect blend of crispy, gooey, and fruity flavors that are sure to captivate any dessert lover around Halloween!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Spooky Banana and Nutella Mummies
Banana Nutella mummies are a delightful culinary invention that perfectly merges the rich, creamy texture of hazelnut spread with the natural sweetness of bananas, all encased in a delicate, flaky puff pastry. The idea is both ingenious and delectable, taking inspiration from the age-old combination of chocolate and bananas, but presenting it in a fresh and festive manner. When baked to golden perfection, the puff pastry crisps up, forming a light, airy contrast to the gooey Nutella and the soft, caramelized bananas within.
Creating these mummies isn’t just about flavor; it’s also a visual treat. With careful wrapping and placement, the puff pastry mimics the bandages of a mummy, making them a fun and quirky addition to themed parties, especially during Halloween. When adorned with little edible eyes, these treats come alive on the plate, making them as much a conversation starter as they are a mouth-watering dessert. Whether served at gatherings or savored during a quiet evening, Banana Nutella mummies are sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike.
How to Make Hazelnut Banana Mummies
- Puff pastry (2 large sheets) – Puff pastry is a flaky, buttery dough made through a meticulous layering process that results in delicate, airy sheets when baked, make sure you keep it cold when not handling it.
- Nutella (1 cup) – Nutella is a creamy hazelnut spread infused with cocoa, offering a rich and indulgent chocolate-nut flavor.
- Bananas (3) – Banana flavor is a distinctive, sweet and creamy taste with tropical undertones, it holds up well when baked in these mummies.
- Butter (2 tbsp) – some butter will help the puff pastry get that lovely golden brown color.
- Sugar (1 tsp) – some sugar sprinkled on top will add that extra sweetness to these little mummy tarts.
- Chocolate chips or edible eyes (16) – the edible eyes give the best affect for these mummies but chocolate chips will work well too.
Use this Method
Prep. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the puff pastry into 8 rectangular pieces. Using a pizza cutter cut the rest of the puff pastry into thin strips for the mummy.
Assemble. Spread some Nutella on each rectangular piece. Place a few slices of banana on each one. Lay strips of puff pastry across each rectangle. Press the puff pastry strips around the edges or tuck them slightly underneath to seal them.
Bake. Finally, brush each mummy with melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until they are nicely browned. Let them cool slightly then place the edible eye or chocolate chips on the face and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Banana Nutella Mummies
Choose the Right Bananas: Opt for bananas that are ripe but still firm. Overripe bananas might be too mushy and can make the pastry soggy.
Puff Pastry Handling: Keep the puff pastry cold until you’re ready to use it. If it becomes too soft or sticky, place it back in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
Thin Strips: When creating the “mummy wraps,” cut thin, even strips of puff pastry. This will give you more control when wrapping the bananas and will result in a more visually appealing finished product.
Secure the Ends: After wrapping the banana in the pastry strips, gently press the ends down to ensure they stick and don’t unravel while baking.
Avoid Overfilling: While it might be tempting to add a generous amount of Nutella, too much can cause it to ooze out excessively while baking. A thin, even layer should suffice.
Spacing on the Baking Sheet: Ensure there’s enough space between each mummy on the baking sheet to allow for the pastry to expand without them sticking together.
Baking to Perfection: Bake until the puff pastry is golden brown. This not only ensures a crispy texture but also gives a beautiful contrast to the dark Nutella and bananas inside.
Edible Eyes: To elevate the mummy appearance, place edible candy eyes on the mummies after baking. This adds a playful and festive touch.
Serving Tip: Consider serving with a dusting of powdered sugar or a side of whipped cream for added flair and flavor.
Storage: If you’re not eating them immediately, store in an airtight container to maintain freshness. For an even better experience, warm them slightly in the oven before serving.
Additions and Variations: While bananas and Nutella are a classic combo, you can also consider adding a sprinkle of chopped nuts, coconut shavings, or even a drizzle of caramel or peanut butter for a different twist.
Absolutely! Homemade puff pastry can give an even more authentic and rich flavor. Just ensure that it’s rolled out to the correct thickness and is kept chilled until ready to use.
Yes, you can use any other chocolate or hazelnut spread. You can also experiment with peanut butter, almond butter, or other spreads if you prefer a different flavor combination
Ensure your bananas aren’t overly ripe, as they can release more moisture. Also, don’t overload the Nutella; a thin layer is enough. Lastly, ensure your oven is properly preheated to ensure immediate cooking.
Yes, you can prepare the mummies and store them in the refrigerator for a few hours before baking. However, for the best texture, it’s recommended to bake them fresh and serve soon after.
This could be due to several reasons: the pastry might have been too warm when placed in the oven, it was rolled out too thinly, or the oven temperature was too low. Ensure your oven is correctly calibrated and that the pastry is kept chilled until baking.
While bananas complement the Nutella wonderfully, you can experiment with other fruits like strawberries or apple slices. Just be aware that the moisture content and baking time might vary.
Ideally, they should be consumed the same day for the best texture. However, if stored in an airtight container, they can last for up to 2 days. Warm them slightly in the oven before serving to refresh the texture.
Yes, you can freeze the prepared, unbaked mummies on a baking sheet until solid, then transfer them to a freezer bag or container. When ready to bake, you can bake them directly from the freezer, just adding a few extra minutes to the baking time.
Absolutely! The candy eyes are mostly for a fun touch. The wrapped puff pastry itself will give the appearance of mummies. Alternatively, you can use small bits of chocolate or icing to mimic eyes.
What to Enjoy with your Mummies
- Hot Chocolate: The richness of hot cocoa complements the flavors of the mummies perfectly.
- Coffee/Espresso: The bitterness of coffee contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the dessert.
- Milk: Classic, simple, and always a favorite with anything chocolatey.
- Tea: Opt for a mild tea, like Earl Grey or Chamomile, so it doesn’t overpower the dessert’s flavor.
- Ice Cream and Whipped Cream:
- Vanilla Ice Cream: A scoop alongside the mummies can create a delightful hot-cold contrast.
- Hazelnut or Chocolate Ice Cream: To double down on the nutty and chocolatey flavors.
- Whipped Cream: Dollop it on top or serve on the side for added creaminess.
- Sauces and Syrups:
- Caramel Sauce: Drizzle over the mummies for added sweetness and a buttery flavor.
- Chocolate Sauce: For an extra layer of chocolaty goodness.
- Berry Compote: The tanginess from berries can provide a pleasant contrast to the sweetness of the mummies.
- Nuts and Toppings:
- Toasted Hazelnuts: Enhance the hazelnut flavor by sprinkling chopped toasted hazelnuts on top.
- Sliced Almonds: Add a bit of crunch and a nutty aroma.
- Shredded Coconut: For a tropical twist and added texture.
Try these other favorite recipes:
Banana Nutella Mummies Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted but cold
- 1 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 3 bananas, cut into ¼ inch sliced
- 2 tbsp melted salted butter
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 16 chocolate chips or edible eyes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Lay the puff pastry sheets out. Cut one sheet into 8 rectangular pieces and the other sheet into strips (these will be the mummy casing so cut them however thick or thin you prefer).
- Spread nutella on each rectangle of puff pastry then place a few banana slices on top. Place 2 banana slices in the top half for the mummy eyes then set strips of puff pastry on top and push in around the edges to seal them in place.
- Place your 8 mummies on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the melted butter on top of the puff pastry and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly then enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 686Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 25gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 8mgSodium 62mgCarbohydrates 86gFiber 8gSugar 67gProtein 7g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.