Mini Chicken Quesadillas
Feb 08, 2024, Updated Feb 28, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Mini chicken quesadillas, crafted with a blend of tender chicken, creamy refried beans, melted shredded cheese, and a touch of fresh cilantro, all nestled between soft tortillas, offer a symphony of flavors in each bite. They are perfect as a savory snack or appetizer, delivering a delightful mix of textures and a satisfying balance of hearty and fresh ingredients.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of Contents
Mini Party Chicken Quesadillas
If you’re looking with an easy, cheesy, delicious crowd-pleasing appetizer for your big game party, these mini quesadillas are the perfect option. Served with blender salsa, guacamole, fruit salsa and sour cream, they are always a huge hit!
This recipe is super simple and totally adaptable, so you can change up the seasoning, salsas, cheeses – even the meat! It’s perfect for tailgating or picnics – we really love serving mini quesadillas and chip and dip bars for kids parties, too! They are always the most popular option!
How to Make Mini Chicken Quesadillas
First assemble the following ingredients:
- Street taco flour tortillas (25) – These small, soft tortillas provide a subtly sweet and slightly chewy base, perfect for holding the other ingredients together.
- Seasoned shredded chicken (2 ½ cups) – The chicken offers a juicy, savory flavor, enhanced by a blend of spices that infuse it with a rich and aromatic taste.
- Shredded triple cheese blend (2 cups) – This blend of cheeses melts into a gooey, creamy texture, adding a rich and slightly tangy depth to the quesadillas.
- Refried beans (1 can) – These beans contribute a smooth, earthy flavor, adding a hearty and comforting element to each bite.
- Cilantro (1 bunch) – Fresh cilantro brings a bright, citrusy, and slightly peppery note, offering a burst of freshness against the richer ingredients.
- Olive oil – The olive oil spray gives the tortillas a light, crispy texture when cooked, with a subtle hint of olive flavor that enhances the overall taste.
- Optional toppings – fresh squeezed lime juice, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.
After gathering your ingredients, use this method:
- Spread Beans. Grab the tortilla, spread the refried beans to cover the whole tortillas (this helps the quesadilla stay closed when done).
- Assemble. Place chicken, cheese, and cilantro on one side of the tortilla so that only half of the tortilla is covered. Fold the tortilla in half. Repeat until the ingredients are gone.
- Cook in a Pan. Place a large pan on medium heat. Spray with olive oil. Place the quesadillas on the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until crispy brown color and then flip and do the same on the other side. Repeat until all the quesadillas are cooked. Top with optional toppings and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Making Mini Chicken Quesadillas
Choose the Right Tortillas: For mini quesadillas, use small, soft tortillas. Corn tortillas can offer a more authentic flavor, while flour tortillas are easier to fold and won’t break as easily.
Pre-Cook the Chicken: Cook the chicken thoroughly before adding it to the quesadillas. You can either grill, bake, or pan-fry the chicken. For added flavor, consider marinating the chicken in spices like cumin, paprika, or a mix of your favorite taco seasonings.
Shred the Chicken Finely: Once cooked, shred the chicken into small pieces. This ensures that every bite of your quesadilla has a balanced mix of flavors and textures.
Layer the Ingredients: Start with a layer of refried beans on the tortilla, followed by shredded chicken, a sprinkle of cheese, and a bit of chopped cilantro. The refried beans act as a ‘glue’ to hold the quesadilla together.
Moderation is Key: Don’t overstuff the quesadillas. Too much filling can make them difficult to flip and can cause the ingredients to spill out during cooking.
Cheese Matters: Use a good melting cheese such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend. The cheese not only adds flavor but also helps to bind the quesadilla together.
Cooking Technique: Cook the quesadillas in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. This allows the tortillas to get crispy and golden brown without burning, and the cheese to melt perfectly.
Flipping the Quesadillas: Carefully flip the quesadillas using a spatula to ensure even cooking on both sides.
Serving: Serve the mini quesadillas while they’re hot and crispy. They are great on their own or can be served with sides like salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
Freshness of Cilantro: Add cilantro just before cooking or even after cooking for a burst of freshness. Cilantro loses its flavor when overcooked.
Cook the chicken thoroughly before adding it to the quesadillas. You can grill, bake, or pan-fry it. For extra flavor, consider marinating the chicken in spices like cumin, garlic powder, or your favorite taco seasoning.
Use a cheese that melts well, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend. These cheeses will help to bind the quesadilla together and add a creamy texture.
Avoid overstuffing the quesadillas. A thin layer of each ingredient is sufficient. This ensures they are easy to flip and the contents don’t spill out during cooking.
Cilantro adds a fresh, herby flavor, but if you’re not a fan, you can omit it or substitute it with another herb like parsley.
Use a wide spatula to flip the quesadillas carefully. Make sure the cheese has started melting before you attempt to flip them, as this helps hold everything together.
It’s best to serve quesadillas fresh. However, you can prepare the fillings in advance and assemble and cook the quesadillas just before serving.
What to Serve With Mini Chicken Quesadillas
Salsa: Offer a range of salsas like classic tomato salsa, salsa verde, or a fruity salsa such as mango or pineapple salsa for a sweet and spicy kick.
Guacamole: A creamy and rich avocado guacamole pairs beautifully with the crispy texture of the quesadillas. Try green chile guacamole.
Sour Cream: A dollop of sour cream is perfect for adding a cool and tangy contrast to the quesadillas.
Refried Beans: A side of refried beans complements the flavors inside the quesadillas and adds extra protein to the meal.
Rice: Serve with a side of Mexican rice or cilantro lime rice for a more filling option. Try cilantro lime rice.
Corn Salad: A fresh corn salad with lime, cilantro, and a hint of chili adds a refreshing element to the meal. I love this chipotle corn salsa.
Jalapeño Peppers: Offer sliced jalapeños for those who enjoy a spicy addition to their quesadillas.
Cheese Dip: A warm cheese dip, like queso, can be a decadent addition for dipping.
Fresh Salad: A light green salad with a zesty dressing balances the richness of the quesadillas.
Grilled Vegetables: Vegetables like bell peppers, onions, and zucchini, grilled and seasoned, can be a healthy and colorful side.
Chips and Dip: Tortilla chips with a variety of dips like bean dip, salsa, or cheese dip can complement the quesadillas.
Coleslaw: A tangy coleslaw can add a crunchy and refreshing touch.
Pickled Vegetables: Serve a mix of pickled vegetables like carrots, onions, or cucumbers for a tangy bite.
Fruit Salad: A light, fresh fruit salad can be a sweet and refreshing end to the meal.
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 25 street taco flour tortillas
- 2 ½ cups seasoned shredded chicken, I used fajita seasoning
- 2 cups shredded triple cheese blend
- 1 can of refried beans, warmed
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- Olive oil or any kind of spray oil
- Optional toppings: fresh squeezed lime juice, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream
- Have all ingredients ready to form the quesadillas.
- Grab the tortilla, spread the refried beans to cover the whole tortillas (this helps the quesadilla stay closed when done).
- Place chicken, cheese, and cilantro on one side of the tortilla so that only half of the tortilla is covered. Fold the tortilla in half. Repeat until the ingredients are gone.
- Place a large pan on medium heat. Spray with olive oil. Place the quesadillas on the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until crispy brown color and then flip and do the same on the other side. Repeat until all the quesadillas are cooked.
- Top with optional toppings and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 748Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 68mgSodium 1289mgCarbohydrates 88gFiber 7gSugar 3gProtein 35g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.