Delicious, moist, and tender banana bread, loaded with comforting cinnamon and warm spices that are a nostalgic bite you’ll want every morning!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Spiced Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble
This banana bread has a warm, comforting topping similar to coffee cake – it is loaded with cinnamon and fresh baked bananas for an irresistable, comforting twist to classic banana bread that you’ll crave again and again.
Banana bread is one of my favorite ways to use up overripe bananas (I know it’s not great but I love bananas when they are still fairly green), and it’s so easy to make – but this version adds a perfect twist for a delicious breakfast.
How to Make Cinnamon Banana Bread
To make this recipe, you will need the following:
- Salted Butter: The foundation of the bread’s richness and moisture. The butter provides a luscious, buttery taste that keeps the bread tender and adds a subtle savory note, balancing the sweetness.
- Light Brown Sugar and White Granulated Sugar: The sweet duo responsible for the bread’s irresistible sweetness. Brown sugar adds a warm caramel undertone, while granulated sugar contributes a pure sweetness that balances the flavors.
- Ripe Bananas: The stars of the show, ripe bananas bring natural sweetness and a creamy texture. They infuse the bread with a gentle banana flavor, making each bite a delightful reminder of this beloved fruit.
- Large Eggs: Eggs are the binding agents that lend structure to the bread. They also contribute to the moisture and tenderness, resulting in a soft and velvety crumb.
- Vanilla Extract: A small amount of vanilla extract amplifies the overall flavor profile. Its warm, sweet essence harmonizes with the bananas and other spices, creating a more nuanced taste experience.
- All-Purpose Flour: The flour serves as the base, providing the structure and texture for the bread. It creates a tender crumb and holds the other ingredients together.
- Ground Cinnamon: The superstar spice that transforms ordinary banana bread into a fragrant delight. Cinnamon adds warmth, depth, and complexity to the flavor profile, creating a cozy aroma that’s both comforting and inviting.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is the leavening agent that causes the bread to rise and become light and airy. It helps create the perfect balance between a moist interior and a slightly crispy crust.
- Divided Light Brown Sugar: This ingredient serves as both an ingredient and a topping. The divided light brown sugar adds pockets of caramelized sweetness throughout the bread while also forming a delectable crunchy crust on top during baking.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following process:
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and ½ cup of brown sugar using an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed. Once the butter and sugars are thoroughly creamed together, add the bananas, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix again until the batter is smooth and homogeneous. Add the flour and baking powder and reduce the electric hand mixer to a low speed. Gently mix in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated with the rest of the batter. Pour the banana bread batter into a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Top with cinnamon crumble. Stir together the remaining brown sugar and the ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the top of the batter.
- Bake. Bake the banana bread for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick can be cleanly removed from the center of the pan.
- Enjoy! Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Cinnamon Banana Bread
Use Ripe Bananas: The key to flavorful banana bread is using ripe bananas. They should be soft, sweet, and have brown speckles on the peel. Ripe bananas provide natural sweetness and a rich banana flavor.
Mash Bananas Well: Make sure to mash the bananas thoroughly to ensure a smooth batter. Larger chunks can create uneven texture in the bread.
Room Temperature Ingredients: Allow your eggs, butter, and other dairy ingredients to come to room temperature before mixing. This helps them incorporate more evenly into the batter, resulting in a smoother texture.
Properly Measure Flour: Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level it off with a flat edge. This prevents packing the flour and ensures accurate measurement, leading to the right consistency.
Don’t Overmix: Mix the batter until the ingredients are just combined. Overmixing can result in a tough or rubbery texture.
Use the Right Pan: Use a standard-sized loaf pan (about 9×5 inches) for even baking. If you use a different size, the baking time might need adjustments.
Layering Cinnamon: Instead of mixing all the cinnamon into the batter, consider layering it. Pour half the batter into the pan, sprinkle with a layer of cinnamon, then add the remaining batter and another cinnamon layer. This creates a beautiful marbled effect.
Check for Doneness: Use a toothpick or cake tester to check for doneness. Insert it into the center of the bread; if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, the bread is ready.
Avoid Overbaking: Be careful not to overbake the bread, as it can dry out. Once it’s done, remove it from the oven promptly.
Cooling: Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes after removing it from the oven. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. This prevents the bread from becoming soggy due to trapped steam.
Wrap for Freshness: Once the bread is completely cool, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it moist. You can also place it in an airtight container.
Enhance Flavor: Consider adding a touch of nutmeg or a pinch of cardamom to complement the cinnamon and elevate the flavor.
Experiment with Add-Ins: For added texture and flavor, you can mix in chopped nuts (like walnuts or pecans) or chocolate chips into the batter.
Let the Flavor Develop: The flavors of banana bread often intensify after the first day. If you can resist, allowing the bread to sit overnight before slicing can result in even more deliciousness.
Freezing: If you’re not planning to consume the entire loaf within a few days, you can slice and freeze individual portions. Wrap each slice tightly in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Yes, you can use regular unsalted butter. If you do, consider adding a pinch of salt to the recipe to maintain the balance of flavors.
Certainly, you can adjust the sugar to your taste. Keep in mind that sugar contributes to the bread’s moisture and texture, so reducing it might affect the final result.
Yes, you can substitute part or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Keep in mind that whole wheat flour can make the bread denser, so a mix of both flours might provide a better texture.
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend to replace the all-purpose flour. Ensure the blend is appropriate for baking. You might also need to adjust the baking time and texture could vary slightly.
Absolutely! Chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans, or chocolate chips, can be a delicious addition. Fold them into the batter just before pouring it into the pan.
Yes, you can adapt this recipe to make muffins. Adjust the baking time to about 18-20 minutes for standard-sized muffins.
While cinnamon is the star in this recipe, you can experiment with other warm spices like nutmeg, allspice, or cardamom for a unique flavor twist.
Grease and flour the pan or use parchment paper to line it. This will help the bread release easily once baked.
Thawed frozen bananas can be used, but they tend to release more moisture. Make sure to drain excess liquid before mashing.
You can store the bread at room temperature for a day or two if it’s well wrapped. For longer storage, keep it in the fridge to maintain freshness.
Absolutely! Wrap slices tightly in plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. They can be frozen for up to three months.
While the recipe calls for light brown and granulated sugar, you can experiment with alternatives like coconut sugar or even maple syrup for different flavor profiles.
If your bread is too moist in the center, try baking it a little longer. Cover the top with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning while the center cooks through.
Yes, you can double the recipe to make two loaves. Make sure you have enough baking pans and adjust the baking time if needed.
Certainly! A simple glaze made from powdered sugar and a little milk or cream can be drizzled on top for an added touch of sweetness.
What to Serve With Cinnamon Banana Bread
Butter or Margarine: A simple smear of creamy butter or margarine can add a touch of richness that complements the warm flavors of the cinnamon and banana.
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese spread can add a velvety and slightly tangy contrast to the sweetness of the bread. Consider adding a sprinkle of cinnamon or a drizzle of honey on top.
Yogurt: A dollop of Greek yogurt or regular yogurt can bring a cool and creamy element to the mix. It’s a great way to balance the sweetness and add a dose of protein.
Fresh Berries: Berries like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries can add a burst of freshness and a pop of color to your plate.
Whipped Cream: A cloud of homemade whipped cream can make your banana bread feel like a special dessert. You can also infuse the whipped cream with a hint of cinnamon or vanilla for extra flavor.
Sliced Fruit: Sliced bananas, strawberries, or other fruits can be a fresh and healthy addition that enhances the overall experience.
Nut Butters: Whether it’s peanut butter, almond butter, or any other nut butter, spreading a thin layer on your banana bread can introduce a delightful nutty contrast.
Hot Beverages: Pair your banana bread with a cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. The warmth of the beverage complements the comforting flavors of the bread.
Ice Cream: If you’re feeling indulgent, a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side can create a dessert-like combination that’s both satisfying and delicious.
Cheese: Mild cheeses like cheddar or brie can be a surprising but delightful pairing with the sweetness of the banana bread.
Honey or Maple Syrup: Drizzle a bit of honey or maple syrup over your slice for an added touch of sweetness and a touch of decadence.
Citrus Segments: Fresh citrus segments like orange or grapefruit can provide a zesty and tangy contrast that balances the sweetness of the bread.
Cinnamon Banana Bread Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Delicious, moist banana bread with a cinnamon crumble topping
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and ½ cup of brown sugar using an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed.
- Once the butter and sugars are thoroughly creamed together, add the bananas, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix again until the batter is smooth and homogeneous.
- Add the flour and baking powder and reduce the electric hand mixer to a low speed. Gently mix in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated with the rest of the batter.
- Pour the banana bread batter into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Stir together the remaining brown sugar and the ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the top of the batter.
- Bake the banana bread for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick can be cleanly removed from the center of the pan.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Organic Korintje Cinnamon Sticks | Perfect for Baking, Cooking & Beverages | 100+ Sticks | 2 3/4" Length | 100% Raw From Indonesia | by FGO
Simply Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon, Certified Organic, Vegan | 2.08 Ounce | Cinnamomum verum J. Presl
Baker's Joy Cooking Spray 4oz Can (Pack of 3) (Non Stick Baking Spray with Flour)
USA Pan Nonstick Standard Bread Loaf Pan, 1 Pound, Aluminized Steel
Amount Per Serving Calories 399Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 62mgSodium 245mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 2gSugar 50gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.