Earl Grey Affogato
Sep 14, 2022, Updated Jan 26, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
An affogato is the perfect after-dinner drink and dessert. It feels sophisticated and indulgent, but also is so easy to make.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Coffee Ice Cream Dessert
An “affogato” is an Italian coffee dessert. Oftentimes, it takes the form of a scoop of gelato or ice cream “drowned” in coffee. “Affogao al caffe” means “drowned in coffee” in Italian.
An affogato is often made with a vanilla or cream gelato or ice cream, but I’ve found an affogato is perfect with this Earl Gray ice cream. The contrast and blending of these complimentary flavors is a creamy and rich dessert.
To Make Earl Grey Affogato You’ll Need:
- Earl Grey ice cream – I found Van Leeuwen Earl Gray ice cream and upon trying it realized it would make the PERFECT affogato. This ice cream is available at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Target, and Walmart. Check your local availability.
- Espresso – Espresso is an Italian method of coffee brewing made by forcing almost boiling water at high pressure through finely-ground beans. It’s strong and flavorful.
- Chopped hazelnuts or almonds – Finely chopped nuts perfectly set off the deep flavors of the espresso and Earl Grey ice cream.
- Edible dried corn flowers or hibiscus flowers- Hibiscus or corn flowers are beautiful and add a sophisticated twist to crown this delicious dessert drink.
Once your ingredients are assembled, make this affogato using the following method:
Brew a shot of high quality espresso. For this recipe, the stronger the better. If you don’t have an espresso machine, brew a very strong 1 ounce coffee in your french press.
Scoop two scoops of Earl Grey Ice Cream into a bowl of large coffee cup.
Drizzle the espresso over the ice cream. Top with chocolate, nuts, and flowers.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Affogatos & FAQs
Make sure to serve this affogato immediately after assembling to fully enjoy the contrast of flavors and temperatures.
Affogato is the perfect dessert after a nice dinner, it’s creamy and a perfect treat, but not overly filling.
Although affogato is fabulous in any dish, serving it in a nice bowl or cup makes it feel extra special.
Earl Grey Affogato
Affogato in Italian translates to “drowned” so “Affogato al caffe” means “drowned in coffee” and it’s a simple but luxurious dessert that is traditionally a gelato or ice cream drowned in espresso.
If you want to eat this treat at night and still be able to fall asleep it sure will work with decaf. The taste will be slightly different, but the combination of flavors will still be wonderful.
We love topping affogatos with cherries in syrup, candied nuts, crumbled stroopwaffles, pecans, or a little drizzle of chocolate syrup.
Other Coffee Drinks You’ll Love
For some other easy dessert ideas, check out our recent favorite dessert recipes:
Earl Grey Affogato Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 small scoops Earl Grey ice cream
- 1 shot espresso or 3 tablespoons strong french-press or moka brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon chopped hazelnuts, almonds, or walnuts
- Pinch of edible dried corn flowers, to garnish, optional.
- Brew 1 shot of good-quality espresso. If you don’t have an espresso machine, nespresso machine, you can use 1 oz of strong-brewed coffee from a french press or moka.
- Place 2 small scoops of earl grey ice cream in a coffee cup or bowl.
- Pour in a shot of espresso over ice cream.
- Top with shaved dark chocolate, and chopped roasted hazelnuts or toasted sliced almonds. Garnish with dried hibiscus, if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 317Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 58mgSodium 118mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 1gSugar 28gProtein 6g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.