Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe - light, fluffy, bakery-style chocolate chip muffins at home with a crunchy sugar topping!
We love muffins in the morning - there is nothing more comforting than deliciously light, fluffy bakery style muffins.
One of my kids most asked for muffins is always chocolate chip - and thankfully these muffins are simple, easy, and don't require fancy equipment.
Be sure to try these muffins with a delicious Dalgona Coffee, too!
If you're looking for other tasty breakfast ideas, please visit my breakfast archives!
Table of contents
Crunchy Sugar Topping
If you've ever wondered how bakeries get those perfect crunchy sugar toppings, wonder no more!
To give these muffins an extra special touch, we like to top it with crunchy coarse sugar.
To Make These Muffins, You'll Need
- Muffin pan
- Muffin liners
- Large mixing bowl (I reccomend one with a lid so you can pop it in the fridge to chill)
- Mixing spatula
1½ cups all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon, divided
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for topping, if desired
2 tablespoon coarse sugar, optional topping
Tips To Perfect Muffins
Getting perfect light and fluffy muffins is easy, but there are a few extra tips and tricks to make your muffins even more delicious!
While these tips are optional, they help get the best results, every time.
-Bake Jumbo Muffins 5-10 minutes more than you would regular muffins.
-Use a spatula or a spoon to mix muffins, not a mixer.
-Refrigerate dough, covered, for at least one hour after mixing, up to overnight.
What Temperature To Bake Muffins
-Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Make sure your oven is preheated properly before adding muffins to the oven.
-Bake muffins for about 6-8 minutes (until they have risen just past the muffin cup top) at 425 degrees.
-Reduce heat to 350 for the second half of baking.
How To Cool Muffins
Always let muffins cool on a rack instead of in the pan, as leaving muffins in the pan will make the bottoms soggy as the steam we used to build a high domed muffin gets trapped and makes the texture soggy!
Other Delicious Muffins You'll Love
- The Best Easy Snickerdoodle Muffins
- The Best Easy Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- Easy Double Chocolate Chunk Muffins Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Dump Muffins with Chocolate Chips and Hazelnuts
Baked muffins can be stored in an airtight freezer bag for up to four months.
This batter can be made the night before and kept in an airtight container overnight, so you can pop them in the oven in the morning for a delicious breakfast!
Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅔ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for topping, if desired
- 2 tablespoon coarse sugar, optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a muffin pan with liners or grease each well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1½ cups of the flour with the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then add in the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, the batter will be lumpy, do not over mix.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Add a level ¼ cup of batter to each muffin liner and top with additional chocolate chips and coarse sugar, if desired.
- REDUCE THE HEAT TO 375 DEGREES and baking for 12 to 16 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes clean from the center of the muffins.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing and enjoying. Serve plain or with butter.
Amount Per Serving Calories 196Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 39mgSodium 144mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.