A favorite easy-dinner classic - this simple, delicious French Bread Pizza is quick to prepare, customizable, and loaded with flavor the whole family loves!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Baked Bread Pizza
We're starting off easy pizzas with store-bought French bread, your favorite pizza or pasta sauce, and tons of cheese - this recipe is super simple, and a great way to use up leftovers!
When I have a jar of pasta sauce I haven't used up and some leftover cheese, I love making these pizzas with my kids - I'll cut a loaf of bread in half, prep the base of the pizzas, and let them top them. It's simple and easy, takes only a few minutes, they get their favorite dinner - and I'm not stuck in the kitchen all night.
This recipe is one that is super simple on it's own and one you might not need a recipe for - but I'm sharing a secret tip to take it over the top, by removing a bit of the bread and adding some extra cheese.
Trust me when I say you're going to LOVE this delicious, amazing baked French bread pizza!
How to Make French Bread Pizzas
To make these easy and delicious pizzas, we're going to gather the following ingredients:
- French bread - we're going to use one large loaf of French bread for these pizzas, cut in half, lengthwise. Pick a french bread that is soft and fluffy - not stale - and is wide, not thin like a baguette. If you want to make your own homemade bread, you can try our no knead bread recipe, shape it more into an oval than a circle, and bake in an oblong dutch oven.
- Cream cheese - cream cheese is our secret ingredient in this pizza - it helps to provide extra tangy, cheesy, delicious flavor, additional fat content, and helps garlic powder stick to the bread. Use softened cream cheese so it is easy to spread against a fluffy, soft bread. You can also use Neufchatel Cheese.
- Garlic powder - garlic powder brings a rustic, earthy, and pungent flavor to baked bread pizza that helps to cut through the acidic pizza sauce and creamy cheese flavors.
- Pizza or pasta sauce - use any sauce you love - tomato sauce, pizza sauce, or even spaghetti sauce - my kids prefer pizza sauce since it is slightly sweet and generally a bit less acidic, but I prefer spicier spaghetti sauce for the additional flavor!
- Mozzarella cheese - mozzarella cheese gives the classic perfect pizza flavor and salty taste! You can buy block mozzarella cheese and shred it, use sliced mozzarella, or pre-shredded mozzarella - whatever is easiest.
- Toppings - you can eat french bread pizza with just cheese, add sliced bell peppers, pepperonis, olives, cooked sausage crumbles - whatever you love on pizza!
After you've gathered your ingredients, use the following method:
- Cut bread in half. Using a serrated knife, cut french bread in half, lengthwise. Try to cut it so it is even on both sides so each side bakes at the same time.
- Scoop some bread out. French bread has a lot of bread inside, which will make your pizza a bit bland. I find pizza is the most flavorful - and easier to eat - when removing a bit of bread from the middle. Simply scoop out a bit of bread with your hands. My kids love to eat the bread from the middle!
- Add cheese & garlic. Spread softened cream cheese, sprinkle garlic powder over each side of bread.
- Add sauce & mozzarella. Layer sauce over cream cheese that has been seasoned with garlic powder, then top with mozzarella.
- Add toppings. Take pizza to the next level with your favorite toppings! Add whatever you like, and load it up!
- Bake. Bake pizza until cheese is bubbly, hot, and lightly browned.
Tips and Tricks to French Bread Pizzas & FAQs
Use soft bread. Soft, pillowy bread is easier to eat instead of a stale, crusty bread like you'd use for a bruschetta - so opt for breads that have a bit of give when you squeeze them.
Scoop out some bread from the middle. The top secret to delicious french bread pizza is scooping some of the bread out of the middle - so that your pizzas aren't too bread-y. This allows for more intense sauce and cheese flavors that aren't bland and boring - and prevents your pizzas from just being soggy bready mush.
Bake to lightly brown. Bake pizza until the cheese is hot, bubbly, and browned on top and the sides are crispy and crunchy - it will be easier to eat, and the browning adds tons of delicious, irresistible flavor!
Try different sauces. If you're feeling adventurous, try an alfredo or a pesto sauce - they are delicious on French bread pizza!
French bread pizzas bake best at high heat, so the sides can crisp up and cheese can melt, as well as brown and get bubbly. Bake pizzas at 400 degrees.
Leftover french bread pizza can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat fully when eating leftovers.
Any type of loaf bread will work for this recipe - it should be long, but not thin like a baguette, so it can hold cheese, sauce, and toppings.
What to Serve With French Bread Pizza
French bread pizza goes with almost anything - it's a simple family favorite that is delicious and easy!
You can find more of our favorite recent easy side dish recipes here:
Easy French Bread Pizza Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
A delicious easy-baked pizza loaded with garlic and cream cheese flavor baked on soft french bread for a simple family favorite everyone loves!
- 1 loaf french bread, cut in half, lengthwise
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened and divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ½ cup marinara, pizza sauce, or pasta sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- toppings, as desired
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Using a serrated knife, cut french bread in half, lengthwise. Try to cut it so it is even on both sides so each side bakes at the same time.
- French bread has a lot of bread inside, which will make your pizza a bit bland. I find pizza is the most flavorful - and easier to eat - when removing a bit of bread from the middle. Simply scoop out a bit of bread with your hands. My kids love to eat the bread from the middle!
- Spread softened cream cheese, and sprinkle garlic powder over each side of bread.
- Layer sauce over cream cheese that has been seasoned with garlic powder, then top with mozzarella.
- Take pizza to the next level with your favorite toppings! Add whatever you like, and load it up!
- Bake pizza until cheese is bubbly, hot, and lightly browned about 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before cutting each pizza into two slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 684Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 73mgSodium 1426mgCarbohydrates 81gFiber 4gSugar 12gProtein 24g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.