Hashbrown Egg Cups
Apr 24, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These delicious hashbrown egg cups are a super simple delicious handheld breakfast. These are a family favorite and are perfect for brunch!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Handheld Hashbrown Egg Cups
When I wake up, I am not always up for making a breakfast that involves a heat source, so I end up eating a bagel or even dare I say it – a donut for breakfast. Part of trying to life a healthier lifestyle is eating a nutritious breakfast and to me that means eggs in some form. These awesome crispy egg cups are as good as it gets! I make a dozen of them and eat them throughout the week which gives me plenty of energy to face the day!
These genius hashbrown egg cups are the perfect filling grab and go breakfast. I have tried a lot of similar recipes but often have been disappointed that the hashbrowns are cooked at the same time as the eggs and end up soft and soggy. For this recipe I cook the potatoes some before adding the egg which makes them crispy and tender.
How to make Hashbrown Egg Cups
First assemble the following ingredients:
- Hash browns – frozen hash browns add structure to these egg cups, these are available at every grocery store and a great thing to have on hand.
- Cheddar cheese – sharp cheddar cheese gives a cheesy creaminess to these egg cups. You can use pepper jack or any other soft cheese if you prefer.
- Sea salt – salt is essential to season all the ingredients, use a high quality fine grain sea salt.
- Black pepper – black pepper adds a little spice to these egg cups to balance out the cheesiness and dairy. You can substitute red pepper flakes if you want.
- Paprika – paprika has a milk sweet, spicy, or smoky flavor depending on the variety that you use.
- Eggs – eggs are the binder for these egg cups, use high quality eggs for the best flavor.
- Half and half – this is a mixture of whole milk and half cream. Half and half gives the egg cups a creamy texture and rich flavor.
- Bacon – is there anything better than bacon? Bacon is savory, salt, and simple delicious. Precook your bacon, I either bake my bacon or cook it in the air fryer.
- Parsley – this optional garnish adds a little green to the top of the egg cups, you can use cilantro if you prefer.
Once you have assembled the ingredients, use this method:
- Prep. In a large bowl combine the hash browns, half the cheese, salt, pepper, paprika. Spray a muffin tin with baking spray then press the hash brown mixture into the bottom to make a nest.
- Bake. Place the hash brown nests in the oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix eggs. In a large bowl mix the eggs, other half of the cheese, milk, and bacon. Pour the egg mixture into the hashbrown nests then bake 12 – 15 minutes until fully set.
- Cool and serve. Cool the about 5 minutes before removing from the tins and garnish with parsley and additional salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Hashbrown Egg Cups
Turn up the heat. One of my favorite additions to these egg cups is a few tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce.
Use a measuring cup with a spout to pour eggs. If you dont want lots of spillage I prefer to use a large glass measuring cup pour the egg mix into the hashbrown cups. I like to use this one.
Add more protein. Level up your egg cups but adding some precooked breakfast sausage or bacon. Yum!
I prefer to not freeze these since freezing will change the texture of the eggs. Hashbrowns also don’t stay crispy when reheated.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Yes, if you grate your potatoes make sure you press all the moisture out of the potatoes before using them. Place the grated potato in the strainer and put something heavy like a pot of water on top of the potato to press out the water.
Other Delicious Breakfast Recipes
Hashbrown Egg Cups Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 20 oz refrigerated hash browns
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese divided
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tbsp half and half
- 4 slices cooked bacon crumbled
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Generously spray a standard size muffin tin pan with baking spray, set aside. This will help the hash browns not stick to the pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the hash browns, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Press the mixture into the bottom, creating a nest.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, eggs, milk, and bacon. Pour into the baked hash browns, then return to the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes or until fully set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before removing.
- Garnish with a pinch of salt and pepper, and freshly chopped parsley. Serve immediately. Enjoy!!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 472Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 276mgSodium 1273mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 18g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.