Hot Buttered Rum Cider
Sep 15, 2023, Updated Sep 27, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Hot buttered rum cider cocktail – a warm, boozy apple cider cocktail loaded with apple butter shots and rum!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Boozy Rum Apple Cider
This hot and boozy beverage is made with an apple cider base with a shot of rum and butter shots mixed in.
It’s basically an adult version of Starbuck’s Caramel Apple Cider… and while it is amazing warm, it’s also quite tasty over ice.
How To Make Hot Apple Butter Rum Cider
To Make This Cocktail You’ll Need:
- 5 ounces Apple Cider: Apple cider is the base of the drink, providing a sweet and fruity flavor with a hint of tartness. It also contributes natural sweetness and a pleasant apple aroma to the beverage.
- 1½ ounces Spiced Rum: Spiced rum adds warmth and complexity to the drink. It brings in notes of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- 1½ ounces Buttershots: Buttershots is a butterscotch liqueur that adds a rich, buttery, and caramel-like sweetness to the drink. It provides a creamy and indulgent element, making the cocktail smooth and sweet.
- Whipped Cream, for topping: Whipped cream serves as a luxurious and creamy topping. It adds a delightful contrast to the warm, spiced drink, and its sweetness complements the other flavors. It also provides a visual appeal and a touch of decadence.
- Cinnamon Sugar, for topping: Cinnamon sugar is a sweet and spicy mixture that is sprinkled on top of the whipped cream. It enhances the aroma and adds a hint of warm cinnamon spice to each sip. It also adds a pleasant texture to the drink.
- Cinnamon Stick, for garnish: The cinnamon stick serves as a decorative garnish. It not only adds a visual element but can also be used as a stirring stick to release additional cinnamon flavor into the drink. It’s both practical and aromatic.
Making this cider is incredibly easy – it is delicious and full of flavor, but incredibly quick and simple to make!
- Heat Cider. Bring cider to boiling on the stovetop. I like to add a bit of mulling spices for additional flavor – or add in slices of fresh fruit for an even brighter flavor.
- Stir in alcohol. Make sure to NOT add alcohol when heating cider, or it will cook off.
- Garnish. You can garnish with cinnamon, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar, slices of apples or oranges, star anise, or mulling spice sugar!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Hot Buttered Rum
Use High-Quality Ingredients: Start with good-quality spiced rum and apple cider. The quality of your ingredients will greatly impact the flavor of the final drink.
Spiced Rum Selection: Choose a spiced rum with flavors that you enjoy. Different brands may have varying spice profiles, so pick one that suits your taste.
Butterscotch Liqueur: For the Buttershots, consider using a quality butterscotch liqueur. It should be smooth and not overly artificial in flavor.
Balancing Sweetness: Taste the drink as you go and adjust the sweetness to your liking. You can add a bit more Buttershots or a touch of honey or maple syrup if needed.
Proper Heating: Warm the apple cider gently in a saucepan. Do not bring it to a boil as this can alter the flavor and texture.
Mix Well: Make sure to stir the ingredients thoroughly to ensure they are well combined. This helps distribute the flavors evenly.
Preheat Glasses: Warm the glasses or mugs before serving to keep the drink hot for longer. Simply fill them with hot water and then discard the water before pouring the drink.
Whipped Cream Technique: When topping with whipped cream, use freshly whipped cream rather than store-bought aerosol cans. The real whipped cream adds a richer, more authentic taste.
Cinnamon Sugar Garnish: Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle it on top of the whipped cream just before serving. It not only adds flavor but also creates an attractive presentation.
Garnish with a Cinnamon Stick: Add a cinnamon stick as a garnish. It serves as a stirring stick and infuses additional cinnamon aroma into the drink.
Experiment with Spices: Don’t hesitate to experiment with additional spices like nutmeg, cloves, or allspice for extra warmth and complexity. A small pinch of these spices can take your Hot Buttered Rum to the next level.
Serve Immediately: Serve the Hot Buttered Rum immediately after preparing it while it’s still hot and steamy.
Enjoy Responsibly: Remember that Hot Buttered Rum contains alcohol, so drink responsibly and in moderation.
Do not add alcohol when bringing cider to a boil, as it will evaporate.
Hot Buttered Rum is a warm alcoholic beverage made with rum, butter, spices, and hot water or apple cider. It’s typically served hot and is known for its comforting and spicy flavors.
While spiced rum is commonly used in Hot Buttered Rum for its warm and aromatic flavors, you can use regular rum and add your own spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg, to achieve a similar taste.
Yes, you can create a non-alcoholic version by omitting the rum and increasing the amount of apple cider or hot water. The spices and butter can still provide a rich and flavorful drink.
While you can use canned whipped cream for convenience, freshly whipped cream provides a superior taste and texture. It’s recommended to whip your own cream if possible.
Unsalted butter is typically used to control the saltiness of the drink. You can also use salted butter, but be cautious with the overall salt content in the recipe.
Yes, you can scale up the recipe to make a larger batch for a group. Keep the proportions consistent and heat the mixture gently on the stove while stirring to ensure even distribution of ingredients.
If you have leftover Hot Buttered Rum, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat it gently on the stovetop or in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy it again.
Dark rum can be used as a substitute for spiced rum, but it will result in a slightly different flavor profile. Dark rum tends to have a richer, deeper flavor, while spiced rum has added spices for extra complexity.
A heatproof glass or mug is ideal for serving Hot Buttered Rum. Choose a vessel that can withstand hot liquids and is comfortable to hold.
You can use non-dairy butter alternatives like margarine or vegan butter for a dairy-free version of Hot Buttered Rum.
The sweetness in Hot Buttered Rum mainly comes from the Buttershots liqueur and the apple cider. You can reduce or omit the sugar if you prefer a less sweet drink.
Other Delicious Cocktails You’ll Love
- Sparkling Apple Cider Rum Punch Recipe
- Easy Apple Cider Mojitos Recipe
- The Best Mulled Cider Ever
- Elderflower Spiced Apple Cider – Spiked and Non Alcoholic Recipes
- Traditional Gluehwein
- Traditional French Vin Chaud (Mulled Wine) Recipe
- Gin Buck Recipe (Gin Moscow Mule)
Or you can visit our Drinks archive here!
Hot Buttered Rum Cider Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 5 ounces apple cider
- 1½ ounces spiced rum
- 1½ ounces Buttershots
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Cinnamon sugar, for topping
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, heat the apple cider until simmering then pour into a mug.
- Add in the spiced rum and buttershots.
- Top with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar and garnish with a cinnamon stick, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 844Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 5mgSodium 12mgCarbohydrates 194gFiber 18gSugar 166gProtein 2g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.