Fresh and fruity, this Passion Fruit Dark and Stormy – like a Moscow Mule, but with rum instead of vodka, is simply irresistible. It has all the makings of a classic moscow mule with a tropical twist, perfect for a warm summer’s day.
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Tropical Passion Fruit Moscow Mule
A typical moscow mule relies on ginger beer, lime, and vodka for their delicious flavor profile – but, this tropical twist on a moscow mule adds passion fruit for a tart and tropical cocktail, and rum instead of vodka -making it a Dark and Stormy, instead of a Moscow Mule.
The rum isn’t the only twist to this drink packing a tropical punch – did you know that some Hawaiians call passion fruit liquid gold? Because it truly is! With a rich gold color that’s both sweet and tart, you’ll feel like you’re sitting on the sandy beaches in Hawaii right in your backyard.
This delicious tropical passion fruit dark and stormy is perfect for enjoying on the patio, celebrating a special occasion, or even after a long Monday. It’s sure to be a hit during summer fun with friends and family.
How To Make A Passion Fruit Dark and Stormy
Made with only 4-ingredients, this passion fruit cocktail is so easy to make. You’ll be whipping it up drinks like a pro in no time at all. Here’s what you need:
- Rum– You can use light or dark rum to make this. I love to use coconut rum because it adds extra tropical flavors.
- Passion fruit pulp– Some stores carry fresh passion fruit, and if you can get those, you can cut them in half and scoop the insides of the fruit. If you can’t find fresh passion fruit, you can get ready to eat passion fruit pulp in bags.
- Lime juice– Squeezing lime juice from a fresh lime is always best, but you can use store-bought lime juice as well.
- Ginger beer– Ginger beer is actually non-alcoholic. It has a robust, spicy and aromatic flavor that adds a bit of bubbly to your cocktail.
You can serve your moscow mule in any cup, but they are known to be served in copper mugs. Copper mugs insulate the drink, keeping it cold and refreshing. So, if you really want to feel like you’re on vacation, pull out the copper mugs for serving.
- First, pull out your mule cup or copper mugs. Then, fill each one with ice.
- Pour the rum, passion fruit, and lime juice over the ice.
- Top off the mug with ginger beer. Stir to combine.
- Garnish your cup with a sprig of mint or half of a small passion fruit.
- Drink and be merry!
Tips and Tricks to A Perfect Moscow Mule and FAQs:
- For extra tropical flavors, use ciroc pineapple, and/or Ciroc coconut. Both have subtle tropical flavors that work well in any cocktail.
- Fresh is always best when it comes to making anything. Try to get fresh passion fruit and fresh limes if you can for a more flavorful drink.
- Chill your glass first. While it is not necessary to chill the glass or mule cup before using, it helps to hasten the chilling of the drinks and keep it cold for longer.
If you already have all the ingredients, it will only take you 5-minutes to whip up a delicious passion fruit moscow mule. Make sure your glasses are chilled before you begin.
This recipe only makes one moscow mule, so you shouldn’t have any leftovers. I recommend only making what you will drink since you are serving it over ice.
Sure! This recipe is only for one cup, but you can easily double, triple or quadruple the recipe. If you want to make a batch in a pitcher, mix the rum, passion fruit, and lime juice together. Then, pour it over ice in each cup and top it off with the ginger beer.
Sure, you can use ginger ale instead of ginger beer. However, if you want a traditional mule, you should stick to the ginger beer. Ginger beer has a stronger flavor than ginger ale does.
For this single serving recipe, you will need ½ ounce of lime juice. To get that amount, you will only need about ½ of a lime. However, it depends on how big and juicy the limes are. I would grab a couple just to be on the safe side.
More Moscow Mule Recipes You’ll Love
I love a good Moscow mule, and they can easily be tweaked for the perfect cocktail. If you’re a fan of mules, be sure to try my Basil Lemonade Moscow Mule, Strawberry Basil Moscow Mule, or my Gin Moscow Mule.
Easy Passion Fruit Moscow Mule Recipe
If you love this easy recipe, please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
This Passion Fruit Dark and Stormy with rum recipe has major vacation vibes -is the perfect way to relax after a long week of work!
- 1 ½ oz rum
- 1 oz passion fruit pulp
- ½ oz lime juice
- 4 oz ginger beer
- Pour your rum, passion fruit, and lime juice into a mule cup filled with ice.
- Add your ginger beer into the mug.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint or half of small passion fruit.
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 17mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 3gSugar 19gProtein 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.