Mediterranean White Bean Salad
Jan 16, 2023, Updated Oct 11, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Light, refreshing, delicious Mediterranean White Bean Salad is surprisingly hearty year-round, for a burst of fresh flavor you can enjoy without breaking the bank!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Hearty Budget White Bean Salad
I love this salad, because it uses cherry tomatoes and cucumbers – which can both be grown indoors, year-round if you have a container growing setup, or a hydroponic kit. They are both also easy to find at grocery stores year-round, so you can get fresh flavor, no matter the season.
We’re using canelenni white beans, which have a great hearty, buttery flavor that is rich and delicious, perfect with salty feta and light bright vegetables.
This salad is incredibly versatile – mix in other vegetables you have on hand like fresh broccoli or cauliflower florets, sautee some zucchini or yellow squash to add in, or stir in Perfect Sauteed Mushrooms for a meaty flavor – you can also add in Easy Baked Chicken Breasts, or Garlic Parmesan Air Fried Shrimp for more of a main dish.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
How to Make White Bean Salad
To make this salad, you’ll need:
- Lemon – lemon juice is very acidic and gives the dressing a bright taste
- Dijon mustard – Dijon mustard is spicy and has a rich flavor because it has white wine in it. It is the main flavor for this dressing and makes it creamy.
- Garlic – pressed garlic gives a very strong earthy flavor to this dressing. You can fine dice it if you don’t have a garlic press.
- Italian seasoning – Italian seasoning is a mixture of classic Italian spices like basil, thyme, oregano, and marjoram. See tips and tricks below on how to mix your own.
- Thyme – even though this has Italian seasoning you want the thyme to stand out so add a little extra.
- Olive oil – olive oil adds fat to this dressing and bring it together so the dressing can coat the beans well.
- Cannellini beans – use cooked, drained cannellini beans. These particular beans have a great flavor and texture and they absorb the dressing well.
- Cucumbers – cucumbers add a nice fresh flavor and raw texture to this salad.
- Cherry Tomatoes – halved tomatoes give a sweet pop. You can leave them whole but cutting them in half lets the dressing soak into them.
- Feta Cheese – feta has a salty creamy flavor and is very strong. Make sure you crumble it well so you don’t get a big bite.
- Flaky Sea Salt – Salt helps season all the ingredients in the salad.
- Black Pepper – Pepper adds a nice spicy pepper, use salt and black pepper to taste.
- Parsley – parsley adds a nice freshness and herbaceous bite.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
Assemble the dressing. In a large bowl add the lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, Italian seasoning, and thyme. Whisk to combine. Slowly add the olive oil as you whisk quickly so you can fully emulsify it.
Add beans and veggies. Add the beans, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Stir to coat the vegetables in the dressing. Top the salad with the feta. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more as needed. Top with chopped parsley and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Perfect White Bean Salad
Season to taste. When you have mixed all the ingredients take time to add the salt and pepper incrementally tasting as you go. Every good chef knows, tasting your food is critical to getting that perfect blend of flavors.
Mix up the beans. If you want to mix it up try doing half pinto beans, half cannellini beans. You can use any ratio or mixture of cooked and drained/rinsed beans for different tastes and textures to this salad.
Mix your own Italian Seasoning. In a medium bowl or mason jar mix 2 tablespoons for the following dried spices: basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, thyme, savory, and red pepper flakes. Store up to 6 months.
This salad can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. Without the feta, this salad will stay fresh for up to four days.
You can use pinto, great northern, or butterbeans to this salad for a similar flavor and texture.
Other Salad Recipes You’ll Love
If you enjoy this white bean salad, check out these recipes next!
Mediterranean White Bean Salad Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon grated garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 persian cucumbers, sliced into half moons
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 1 tsp flakey sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Add the lemon juice, dijon mustard, grated garlic, italian seasoning, and thyme to a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the olive oil slowly, whisking as you pour. Continue whisking until the dressing is fully emulsified.
- Add the cannellini beans, sliced cucumbers, and halved tomatoes. Stir to coat the vegetables with the dressing.
- Top the salad with crumbled feta. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Saltverk Flaky Sea Salt, 3.17 Ounces of Handcrafted Gourmet Salt Flakes from Iceland
Hand Push Whisk, Semi-Automatic Egg Whisk, 12 Inch Stainless Steel Egg Whisk For Home Blending, Whisking, Beating, Stirring
Bovado USA 4 Quart Glass Bowl for Storage, Mixing, Serving - Clear, Dishwasher, Freezer & Oven Safe Premium Quality Glass, Easy-Clean, 4 QT
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 361Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 25mgSodium 1169mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 6gSugar 5gProtein 12g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.