This mexican beef and rice skillet is the perfect one pot wonder – cheesy, flavorful and meaty for all those weeknight dinners when you want a quick dinner without switching on the oven!
I’m not going to lie to you when I say that I’ve been supremely lazy the last few weeks because it’s too hot to do anything right now. And I just want to switch on the air conditioning, plop in front of the television all day and eat some mango cheesecake ice cream. But then there is food that needs to be made and dishes that need to be washed and all the other work that I don’t want to think about. So I’m always looking for the easy way out. And this mexican beef and rice skillet is such a blessing!
It’s perfect when we want a quick, hearty and wholesome meal and I end up putting this out on the dinner table at least once a week these days. But nobody’s complaining because we love this meaty one pot wonder!
I absolutely love mexican food and I’m always trying to incorporate the flavours in my recipes. The best thing to do while making a mexican skillet like this one is to have some readymade taco seasoning on hand because it just makes your job so much easier. You just dump in the seasoning with all your other stuff and the flavours are spot on!
When you try this out, don’t forget all the toppings because that’s definitely a game changer. We love topping it with avocados, tomatoes, more bell peppers, olives and of course lots of cilantro. The toppings add so much freshness to the entire bowl.
This mexican beef and rice skillet is also perfect as leftovers. I always end up making a few extra helpings so that we don’t have to worry about lunch the next day! And if you are looking for something to go on the side, try this Cucumber Noodle Prawn and Mango Salad which adds so much colour on the table!
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 pound ground Beef
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 can diced Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- Diced tomatoes, bell peppers, avocados, olives and cilantro for topping
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ground beef. Brown the beef for a few minutes and add garlic, jalapeno and onion.
- Stir fry for a few minutes till the onion starts turning translucent and add the bell peppers, tomatoes, taco seasoning and salt.
- Cook this for 4-5 minutes and add the rice and beef stock to the skillet.
- Bring this to a quick boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes till the rice is cooked through.
- Mix in the shredded cheese and serve with your favourite topping.
Please be sure to stop by Richa’s site and follow her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter– and check her Pinterest profile below!