Now that I am back into the swing of things after attending the SNAP! conference in Salt Lake City, I’m trying to get back on the paleo bandwagon before heading down under to Australia for my brother’s wedding this summer. I’ve had such a hard time with arthritis flare-ups, exhaustion, and general grumpiness over the status of my waistline- it is time to get back to eating natural, healthy and delicious food. And this Paleo Asian Chicken Stir Fry (with pea shoot “noodles”) is a recipe I could get used to eating a lot more often! Now- if you’re new to paleo, you might be aware that soy (and soy sauce) is a big old fat no-no. And this might have you shedding a tear, or five. But no need to cry- because I found something I love even more… coconut aminos! Yep, it’s tastes-like-soy-sauce made from Coconuts. YUM! Not all my local organic/health food stores carry coconut aminos, so I usually just order them off Amazon. A bottle lasts a while, and you can use it in so many recipes- and it is delicious. Plus it is gluten free, so if you’re looking into paleo meals because of celiac, it is an easy switch! This recipe is fabulous on it’s own (we like to eat it out of a big bowl and just dig in) but it is also especially delicious in a lettuce cup – just like these paleo steak and sriracha lettuce wraps. It makes for excellent party food- get guests to add on top of a taco salad, or make their own lettuce wraps! Your gluten free or paleo friends will be impressed- and it is SO easy to make and serve!
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced into 1" cubes
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced into small chunks (or 4 tiny zucchinis, as pictured)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp+ sriracha sauce (start with ½ tsp and work your way up to get flavor you like- this is spicy!)
- handful pea shoots
- In a heavy cast iron pan, heat oil until shimmery.
- Add chicken, cook on medium high heat until just browned, 5 minutes.
- Add onions and peppers, cook until slightly browned- about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, keep cooking until everything is nicely browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add coconut aminos and stir well.
- Slowly add sriracha sauce until desired heat level- this sneaks up on you, so add slowly. You can always add more, but you can't take away if you add too much!
- Throw pea shoots in while still on stove, and toss mixture until shoots start to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and eat immediately!
- Can be eaten as-is, or added to a lettuce wrap.
If you love this, check out this collection of over 25 Perfectly Paleo foods– desserts, mains, breakfasts- it’s all there. Great ideas to get into eating paleo!
Or why not try out one of these delicious paleo pastas? All the flavor and convenience of the pastas you love- with none of the carbs!