These spicy and sweet Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken Wings are the most delicious fall-off-the-bone wings you'll ever make!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Sweet and Spicy Honey Soy Slow Cooker Wings
I am not generally a fan of sweet wings- to me, wings need to be spicy and have a ton of flavor. However, I love the sticky, thick texture honey gives to wing sauce when cooked on a low temperature over time. I knew I needed to find some bold, delicious spices to pair with the honey to get the flavor I was looking for...
I decided to make my own recipe and put a little bit of an Asian-inspired twist on them with some shoyu (soy sauce), a little chili paste, and some special spices. Thus, these Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken Wings were born!
How to make Honey Soy Slow Cooker Wings
To make these wings assemble the following ingredients:
- Honey - honey balances out the spice of the chili paste for a beautifully flavored sweet and spicy wing.
- Soy sauce - soy sauce is a salty vaguely meaty Asian sauce that doesn't have a good substitute. You can use low sodium or regular.
- Rice vinegar - compared to other vinegars, rice vinegar has a mild sweetness and slightly sour flavor.
- Chili paste - chili paste is a complex combination of fruit zests, chili peppers, and other spices in olive oil. Buy a high-quality chili paste, this is the most important ingredient.
- Onion powder - onion powder is a great way to get that punchy strong onion flavor without adding more moisture to the slow cooker.
- Garlic powder - this powerhouse is a very common addition to Asian food and helps compliment the other spices for a mouthwatering flavor.
- Cumin - cumin has an earthy subtle taste that compliments the other spices.
- Cayenne pepper - cayenne is a great way to kick the heat up a notch. If you don't want the wings to be spicy, omit this.
- Baking powder - baking powder is used to thicken the sauce for these wings. See FAQs for alternatives.
- Chicken wings - I cut my wings in between drum, wing, and tip but you can leave them whole if you prefer.
- Green onions - diced green onions make an incredible fresh garnish for these succulent wings.
- Sesame seeds - sesame seeds add a crunchy texture to these wings, you can use black or white sesame seeds.
Once you have assembled the ingredients use the following method
Combine ingredients - combine all of the ingredients except the chicken wings and baking powder, stir them together and set them aside.
Coat Chicken - coat the chicken in the baking powder, I like to shake them together in a plastic bag to coat them well.
Combine and cook- put the chicken wings in the slow cooker followed by the sauce. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. Stir about every house to make sure the sauce is even around the wings.
Stir and Serve - When ready to serve stir the wings and sauce well and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for Slow Cooker Honey Soy Wings
Not all slow cookers are created equal. The type and brand of your slow cooker will partly determine how long the cook time is. To determine doneness, look for when the meat is easily separating from bone, and wings have reduced in size by about half
Don't sweat the sauce before cooking - It will look like you don't have enough sauce when you add it to your crock pot, but don't worry the chicken will release a lot of moisture that will add to the sauce during cooking.
If you don't want to use baking powder, you can use 1 teaspoon of cornstarch instead.
The spice level here is determined by the amount of cayenne. If you want it less spicy just add less or none.
Try these other Slow Cooker Sweet C's Favorites next!
Slow Cooker Honey Soy Wings Recipe
If you love these slow cooker Honey Soy Wings as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share on facebook and pinterest.
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
These delicious slow cooker honey soy chicken wings are an easy set and forget appetizer that everyone loves! Sweet and spicy with a ton of flavor from your crock pot or slow cooker!
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb chicken wings, I cut them in between drum, wing, and tip but you can leave them whole if you prefer
- To garnish:
- 3-4 green onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a medium sized bowl, add all ingredients except for the baking powder and chicken wings.
- Stir well to combine, set aside.
- Add chicken wings and baking powder to a ziploc bag, shake well to coat chicken wings evenly.
- Add chicken wings to slow cooker.
- Pour sauce over wings.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours. If cooking on low, cook for 4-5 hours.
- Stir about once every hour just to make sure sauce is even on all wings.
- When meat is easily separated from bone, and wings have reduced in size by about half, plate wings or serve right out of the slow cooker. Be sure to stir well to make sure all wings have a good amount of sauce on them.
- Top with sesame seeds and freshly chopped green onions.
- Time will vary based on the slow cooker or crock pot you use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
365 by Whole Foods Market, Sesame Seeds Toasted, 1.83 Ounce
Bovado USA 1 Quart Glass Bowl for Storage, Mixing, Serving - Clear, Dishwasher, Freezer & Oven Safe Quality Glass, Easy-Clean, 1 QT
Crockpot Portable 7 Quart Slow Cooker with Locking Lid and Auto Adjust Cook Time Technology, Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving Calories 107Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 22mgSodium 378mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 5g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Sweet C's Favorites
If you love this recipe, please check out some of our top posts!
These tried and true reader favorites are well loved for their family friendly flavor that everyone loves!