The Best Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe – creamy, rich, comforting green bean casserole like Grandma used to make that is perfect for Thanksgiving!
Frozen or fresh green beans, crispy onions, mushroom soup, mushrooms, and plenty of garlic give this classic recipe a homemade flavor everyone loves at Thanksgiving.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Frozen Green Bean Casserole
To save time and refrigerator space (plus a bit of the Thanksgiving budget), we’re using frozen green beans for this recipe – they are flash-frozen, keeping their crunch and flavor, without being mushy like canned green beans.
This recipe is super simple, a take off the classic condensed soup recipe, with some extra spices for more kick to bring to your Thanksgiving dinner table!
If you love the classic crunchy green bean casserole, you’re going to love our version!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do – it’s delicious with our famous Brown Bag Herb Roasted Turkey, Slow Cooker Turkey in Gravy, Garlic Butter Turkey Tenderloin and Sweet Potatoes Recipe, Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, and of course our favorite non traditional Thanksgiving favorite, The Best Ribeye Roast Recipe!
You don’t even need to thaw the green beans – making this a great easy side you can make as the turkey rests, without throwing off the rest of your baking. This side dish is super easy and flexible.
How To Make Green Bean Casserole
This side dish is really easy to make alongside Thanksgiving favorites – we like to pre-brown the shallots and mushrooms and have them set aside, so we can throw this together last minute and into the oven!
- Prep dish. Preheat oven. Add green beans to baking dish, no need to thaw.
- Brown vegetables & make sauce. Sautee shallots, garlic, and mushrooms until browned and softened. Mix milk and cream of mushroom soup with herbs and spices. Add mushrooms and shallots to green beans, toss to mix.
- Assemble & bake. Pour milk mixture over green beans. Top with crunchy onions. Bake 30 minutes, until bubbling hot.
Tips to Perfect Green Bean Casserole
The following tips will help you make perfect green bean casserole, every time!
Use frozen beans. Using frozen green beans helps you save money (they tend to be less expensive per pound and more reliably in-stock), keeps you from having to snip the tips from green beans, and are easier to work with!
We formulated this recipe to be made with frozen, not thawed green beans – no need to thaw and drain, we’re expecting a bit of liquid to cook off into the casserole when baking.
Use fresh beans. If you’d like to make this dish with fresh green beans, we like to sautee them with the mushrooms before baking to help them cook a bit faster. Frozen green beans tend to cook to soft a bit quicker, and fresh green beans will have more crunch if you cook following the steps below. If you want a softer bite, pre-brown beans. If not, go ahead and toss them in raw – simply trim the ends and be sure to wash them well.
Use Canned Green Beans. You can also use canned green beans for this recipe – make sure to drain completely if using. Canned green beans will have the softest bite.
Make it ahead of time. If you want to prep this dish before you start baking it, you can make it up to a day in advance, and store in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped in foil or plastic wrap, until ready to bake. For best results, do not top with crunchy onions until casserole is going right into the oven – they will get soggy and soft.
Green bean casserole is done when it is bubbly hot and golden brown on top.
Green bean casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes You’ll Love
If you’re looking for other turkey day favorites, were sharing some of our favorites below!
We love The Best Easy Buttery Soft Dinner Rolls, Brown Bag Herb Roasted Turkey, Perfect Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe, Garlic Butter Roasted Potatoes Recipe, The Best Easy Turkey Gravy Recipe, Easy Cranberry Fluff Salad, Cranberry Apricot Baked Brie Recipe, and The Best Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe!
You can find more of our favorite easy Thanksgiving recipes below:
- Easy Jalapeño Cheddar Bread
- The Best Easy Garlic Knots Recipe
- Perfect Tender Pot Roast
- The Best Easy Instant Pot Lobster Tails Recipe
- The Best Easy Prime Rib Recipe
- The Best Roasted Cornish Game Hens Recipe
- The Best Ribeye Roast Recipe
- Easy Beef Wellington
- Crispy Baked Turkey Wings
- Thanksgiving Planning Essentials
- Easy Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
- Spinach Zucchini Squash and Feta Casserole
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
The Best Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe - creamy, rich, comforting green bean casserole like Grandma used to make that is perfect for Thanksgiving!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (you can swap for soy sauce if desired)
- 4 cups frozen green beans
- 1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or aleppo pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add green beans to baking dish, no need to thaw.
- In large pan, heat olive oil until light and shimmery.
- Add shallots, garlic, and onions. Sautee shallots, garlic, and mushrooms until browned and softened - about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Be careful to keep garlic from burning.
- Mix milk and cream of mushroom soup with herbs and cayenne or aleppo pepper, as well as fish sauce.
- Add mushrooms and shallots to green beans with 1/3 cup fried onions.
- Pour milk mixture over green beans.
- Top with rest of crunchy onions.
- Bake 30 minutes, until bubbling hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
KOMUEE 8-Pieces Glass Baking Dish with Lids Rectangular Glass Baking Pan Bakeware Set with BPA Free Lids, Baking Pans for Lasagna, Leftovers, Cooking, Kitchen, Fridge-to-Oven, Gray
Webake Enamelware 9x13 Baking Pan Oblong Cake Pan Enameled Steel Roasting Pan Baking Dish Lasagna Pan Food Containers, Solid White with Blue Rim
Amount Per Serving Calories 226Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 6mgSodium 622mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 4gSugar 9gProtein 7g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.