The Best Easy Turkey Gravy Recipe
Nov 03, 2019, Updated Dec 15, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious Easy Turkey Gravy recipe is smooth, delicious and impossible to mess up!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Turkey Gravy
Gravy can be frustrating to make it can be too thin, too thick, lumpy, too salty, or without any flavor. This recipe uses ingredients you probably already have on hand. Homemade turkey gravy is a simple, delicious winner, every time!
If you’re following a keto diet, see our tips and tricks section for how to make your turkey gravy keto. It just requires a few easy tweaks to get a delicious, rich keto gravy!
To Make This Easy Turkey Gravy, You’ll Need:
To make this gravy you will need the following ingredients.
- Turkey Drippings – the drippings from the cooked turkey are the most important part of a thick delicious gravy. The fat and juice from the turkey will make this gravy.
- Unsalted butter – drippings are very salty from your seasoned turkey so use unsalted butter for to create the thickening roux.
- All-purpose flour – flour is the thickener. I prefer to use unbleached flour but any all purpose flour will work.
- Black Pepper – pepper adds a bit of heat to this rich gravy and helps cut through the fat.
- Low-sodium chicken broth – chicken broth will create the desired consistency, use low sodium so you can control the salt content.
Once you have assembled all the ingredients use the following method
Save drippings. Pour drippings from your roasted turkey into a large bowl or measuring cup.
Assemble. In a medium nonstick saucepot, melt butter. Add flour, pepper, and whisk vigorously to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly fragrant – watch carefully and do not let burn!
Add drippings. Pour the turkey drippings into the pot, without adding the fat which should have separated off from the drippings. You can skim the fat off the top using a fork or spoon to help prevent it from going into the gravy. Whisk vigorously to combine.
Finish. Add the stock and whisk to combine. Bring the gravy to a slow simmer, whisking occasionally but vigorously.
Serve. When gravy has thickened, remove from heat and transfer to a gravy boat for serving.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Easy Turkey Gravy
Check out these tips and tricks for perfect turkey gravy every time.
Make it Keto. To make this keto simple swap the flour for xantham gum. I prefer this brand. It is keto friendly!
Kick it up a notch. To add more flavor, feel free to add up to a teaspoon of herbs de provence, oregano, basil, Italian Herbs blends, or more!
Taste as you go. The best way to ensure a good gravy is to make sure you taste it before you serve it. Your pan drippings may be really salt so you may need to add more stock, you can’t tell unless you taste.
Whisk Vigorously. If you want a creamy gravy you will need to whisk it really well to make sure everything combines well.
Sift the flour. Sifting the flour before adding it ensures you don’t get clumps and will get a nice smooth gravy.
Leftover gravy can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
Yes! Freeze gravy in a Ziplock bag for 3-4 months. Let defrost in the fridge before heating and reserving.
The Best Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
If you love this easy turkey gravy recipe, please check out some of my other Thanksgiving Favorites!
The Best Easy Turkey Gravy Recipe
If you love this easy turkey gravy recipe as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup turkey drippings
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Pour drippings from your roasted turkey into a large bowl or measuring cup.
- In a medium nonstick saucepot, melt butter.
- Add flour, pepper, and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly fragrant – watch carefully and do not let burn!
- Pour the turkey drippings into the pot, without adding the fat which should have separated off from the drippings.
- You can skim the fat off the top using a fork or spoon to help prevent it from going into the gravy.
- Whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the stock and whisk to combine.
- Bring the gravy to a slow simmer, whisking occasionally but vigorously.
- When gravy has thickened, remove from heat and transfer to a gravy boat for serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Balloon Whisk,Black
Pampa Bay Porcelain Salerno Gravy Boat
With Hinged Lid Insulated Gravy Boat (450ML/16 OZ) SU304 Stainless Steel Double Wall Gravy Warmer ,Serving for Cream, Salad Dressing, Sauce
AVACRAFT Stainless Steel Saucepan with Glass Lid, Strainer Lid, Two Side Spouts for Easy Pour with Ergonomic Handle, Multipurpose Sauce Pan with Lid, Sauce Pot (Tri-Ply Capsule Bottom, 2.5 Quart)
Made in USA Xanthan Gum (8 oz), Premium Quality, Food Grade Thickener, Non GMO, Gluten Free, Use in Cooking, Baking, Sauces, Soups and more. Suitable for Vegetarian, Kosher & Halal. Use for Keto Diet.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 99Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 34mgSodium 27mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 6g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Sweet C’s Favorite Recipes
If you love this easy turkey gravy, please check out some of my other favorite easy recipes – many of them low carb!