The best everything bagel seasoning mix recipe - how to mix your own everything bagel seasoning mix at home!
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
This mix is so easy and delicious, it's great on crackers, breads, cottage cheese - I've even sprinkled a little over celery sticks!
You can do so many things with this seasoning mix - including flavor your favorite meats and vegetables.
I hope you love this everything bagel seasoning mix recipe as much as we do!
Below, we have included some of our favorite tips to make you as confident ass possible in the kitchen.
If you'd like to skip over all this, please click the "skip to recipe" button in the top left corner.
I have tons of requests from loyal readers who rely on additional info to feel confident in the kitchen, and I put a lot of work into making sure I'm giving plenty of background with recipes.
How to Make Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
To make this recipe, we need the following ingredients:
- Poppy Seeds (2 tablespoons): Poppy seeds have a mild, nutty flavor and add a pleasing crunch to the seasoning mix. They also contribute a unique appearance to the blend.
- White Sesame Seeds (1 tablespoon): White sesame seeds provide a subtle, nutty flavor and a light color contrast in the mix. They add a delicate crunch.
- Black Sesame Seeds (1 tablespoon): Black sesame seeds have a slightly stronger nutty flavor compared to white sesame seeds and contribute to the visual appeal of the seasoning with their dark color.
- Dried Minced Garlic (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon): Dried minced garlic brings a robust, savory, and garlicky flavor to the blend. It's a key ingredient that provides the "everything" flavor.
- Dried Minced Onion (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon): Dried minced onion contributes a sweet and oniony flavor to the mix. Like garlic, it plays a crucial role in achieving the "everything" taste.
- Flaked Sea Salt or Coarse Salt (2 teaspoons): Salt enhances all the other flavors in the seasoning, providing a balance of salty and savory notes. The flaked or coarse texture also adds a delightful crunch to the mix.
- Caraway Seeds (1 tablespoon): Caraway seeds have a distinctive earthy, slightly licorice-like flavor. When added, they bring a unique twist to the traditional Everything Bagel Seasoning, adding depth and complexity.
- Fennel Seeds (1 tablespoon): Fennel seeds have a sweet and slightly anise-like flavor. They can enhance the overall aroma and taste of the seasoning mix, providing a hint of sweetness and herbaceousness.
Once you've gathered your ingredients, use the following process:
- Measure ingredients and mix in a large bowl.
- Store in a jar in a cool, dry place.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
Use fresh herbs and spices. If you're making seasoning mixes at home to save money and get more fresh flavor (it is crazy to me how much more flavor you can get from making your own herb blends - they often sit on store shelves longer than other herbs you use to make the mix), you want to be sure you're storing the herbs properly for the best flavor.
Store in a dark dry place. I always use a glass jar with a very tight fitting lid when storing herbs, and keep them in a dark, dry cabinet. If you have a lot of humidity, or moisture, in the cabinets you store herbs in, it can cake together and even mold. In an airtight container, stored properly, herbs and seasoning blends should last six months.
Know how long to store herbs. While they won't "go off" or expire, and will still be safe to eat even years later, flavor starts to diminish after six months - especially when repeatedly exposed to light and air.
What to Sprinkle Everything Seasoning On. If you're looking for delicious recipes to sprinkle this everything seasoning on, I'm adding some of my favorite ideas below:
- Sprinkle on grilled corn on the cob for more crunch
- Add savory saltiness to your favorite movie theater style popcorn
- Sprinkle over baked pork chops
- Add to cauliflower rice for more texture and saltiness
- Try Everything seasoned Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks
- Sprinkle over pan fried broccolini
Everything Bagel Seasoning is a spice blend that typically includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and salt. It gets its name from the seasoning mix used on everything bagels, a type of bagel topped with these ingredients.
Yes, you can make Everything Bagel Seasoning at home by combining equal parts sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes, and a pinch of salt. Adjust the quantities to suit your taste.
Most ingredients in commercially prepared Everything Bagel Seasonings are gluten-free, but it's essential to check the label if you have gluten sensitivities or allergies. Some blends may include wheat-based ingredients, so always read the ingredients list.
-Sprinkle it on bagels with cream cheese.
-Use it as a seasoning for avocado toast, scrambled eggs, or fried eggs.
-Add it to roasted vegetables for extra flavor and crunch.
-Use it as a seasoning for chicken, fish, or tofu.
-Mix it into dips like hummus or yogurt-based spreads.
Store Everything Bagel Seasoning in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. This will help keep it fresh and maintain its flavor.
Like all spices, Everything Bagel Seasoning does have a shelf life. It's best to use it within one year for the most robust flavor. Over time, the seeds may lose some of their crunch, but the seasoning will still be safe to consume.
Absolutely! Many people like to customize their Everything Bagel Seasoning by adding extra ingredients like red pepper flakes for heat, dried herbs like thyme or rosemary for added flavor, or even different types of salt for a unique twist.
Everything Bagel Seasoning is typically vegan, but always check the label to ensure there are no added animal-derived ingredients if you follow a strict vegan diet.
Everything Bagel Seasoning contains sesame seeds, which are a good source of healthy fats, fiber, and minerals. However, since it also contains salt, use it in moderation if you're watching your sodium intake.
You can use Everything Bagel Seasoning as a substitute for various seasonings, but keep in mind that it has a distinct flavor profile. Experiment to see how it complements different dishes.
What to Serve With Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
If you're looking for ideas of what to sprinkle this seasoning mixture over, check out a few of my favorites:
The Best Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix Recipe
If you love this easy everything bagel seasoning recipe as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
The best everything bagel seasoning mix - how to make your own everything bagel seasoning at home for breads, cheese dips, fissh, meats, vegetables, and more!
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt or coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon carraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- In a bowl, mix ingredients well.
- Add to jar with airtight lid and store in a cool, dry place for up to six months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Serving Size1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving Calories 13Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 301mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.