One pot skillet chicken and asparagus is truly a perfect dish- just toss ingredients in, and out comes a complete meal with a side dish! Perfect for busy weeknights, dinner parties, or sunday supper.
I always have a lot of chicken and vegetables on hand. When you peek in my fridge, I am almost guaranteed to have a ton of asparagus or green beans and chicken- no matter all the other ingredients I have on hand for our week’s meals. Asparagus and chicken are so versatile and easy to prepare I love having them as great base ingredients for bigger meals- but I recently came up with this simple skillet dish for the two of them that is phenomenal!
If you’ve been reading Sweet C’s for a while, you’ll know I have a major thing for whole roast chicken, and one of my favorite whole roast chicken recipes is my one pot Grecian Chicken. I took the ingredients of that dish and changed it up a bit to add in a side dish right into the skillet- and swapped out chicken breasts instead of a whole bird to make this a truly easy weeknight meal.
You can’t get any easier than this- the main dish cooks right with the vegetable side, so there is only one pan to clean up afterwards!
This meal is perfect for two adults and two kids, or three adults- and is very easily scalable. You can cook up to five chicken breasts with the amount of lemons and spices listed- simply brown them in batches, and then add everything to the pan. Don’t overcrowd your pan when browning the chicken, or your chicken won’t get a good sear and will become tough and gummy.
If you prefer chicken thighs or drumsticks, this recipe is perfect! You’ll just need to modify the cooking time to make sure you don’t over or undercook, as the times listed here are for thick chicken breasts. Investing in a good meat thermometer will take all your timing guesswork out!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody parts trimmed and then cut into 1" strips
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat cast iron pan on stove on medium high.
- Add olive oil to hot pan and heat until shimmery.
- Add chicken to pan and brown.
- Remove from stove and add lemon, garlic and oregano into pan.
- Cook in oven until chicken reaches 155 degrees internally, about 25 minutes.
- Add asparagus to pan.
- Continue to heat until asparagus is soft and chicken has reached internal temperature of 175 degrees, about another 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with salad, rice, or vegetables.