Broccoli Cauliflower Sausage Casserole
Mar 02, 2023, Updated Mar 21, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This cheesy broccoli cauliflower sausage casserole is packed with protein and veggies. Your whole family will love this down-home classic!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Easy Cheesy Veggie Packed Sausage Casserole
Cheesy sausage broccoli and cauliflower casserole is a comforting and hearty dish that is perfect for a family dinner or potluck!
This over-the-top dish adds a cheesy sauce made with sausage, cheese, and seasonings, mixed with tender broccoli and cauliflower florets, and baked until bubbly and golden brown. This casserole is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables while satisfying your craving for something rich and cheesy!
How to make Cauliflower Broccoli Sausage Casserole
First you will want to assemble and prepare the following ingredients:
- Broccoli florets – Broccoli adds a slightly sweet and nutty flavor to a cheesy casserole, which contrasts well with the rich and savory cheese sauce.
- Cauliflower florets – Cauliflower adds a mild and slightly sweet flavor to a cheesy casserole, which helps to balance the richness of the cheese and sausage.
- Olive oil – olive oil is a great oil to sauté vegetables and brown before adding to a casserole, adding depth and heart-healthy fats to the dish.
- Yellow Onion – Yellow onion brings a savory and slightly sweet flavor to a cheesy casserole, which provides a rich and aromatic base for the dish.
- Garlic – Garlic adds a pungent and slightly spicy flavor to a cheesy casserole, which helps to balance the richness of the cheese and sausage, and adds depth and complexity to the dish.
- Smoked sausage or andouille – smoked sausage adds a protein hit and rich flavor, you can use beef or pork sausage.
- Cream cheese – cream cheese adds some lovely fat to this casserole and thickens the cheese sauce.
- Mayonnaise – mayo is the base for the creamy casserole.
- Mexican blend cheese – this cheese blend is a mixture of Monterey jack, Colby, and cheddar cheese with some added spices.
- Dijon mustard – Dijon mustard is distinct from regular mustard because it has horseradish and white wine in it which gives this casserole a wonderful flavor.
- Sea salt – use high quality sea salt to season the veggies and sausage.
- Fresh cracked black pepper – pepper adds a wonderful heat that balances out this dish. Add extra pepper if you want it spicier.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
Tips and Tricks for a Perfect Cheesy Casserole
Blanch or sauté the broccoli and cauliflower: Parcooking the vegetables before baking helps to soften them and ensure even cooking.
Use high-quality sausage: Choose a high-quality sausage with a bold flavor that can stand up to the other ingredients in the casserole.
Use a blend of cheeses to kick up the flavor: A blend of cheeses such as cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan will provide a more complex and flavorful sauce than using just one type of cheese.
Season well: Don’t be shy with the seasonings. Use a generous amount of salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like to bring out the flavors in the dish.
Don’t overcook: Be careful not to overcook the casserole, as this can cause the cheese to become stringy and the vegetables to become mushy.
Let it rest: Allow the casserole to rest for a few minutes after baking, as this will allow the flavors to meld together and make it easier to serve.
Yes, frozen broccoli and cauliflower can be used for this recipe. Just make sure to thaw and drain them before using.
Yes, you can use any type of sausage you like for this recipe, whether it’s spicy Italian sausage, sweet Italian sausage, or breakfast sausage.
Yes, you can prepare the casserole in advance and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. You may need to add a few minutes to the baking time if the casserole is cold.
Yes, you can freeze the casserole for up to 2-3 months. To freeze, let the casserole cool completely, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil. When ready to serve, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight, then bake as until bubbly and hot.
Yes, you can use any type of cheese you like for this recipe, whether it’s cheddar, mozzarella, or a blend of cheeses. Just make sure to choose a cheese that melts well and has a bold flavor.
What to Serve With Broccoli and Cauliflower Sausage Casserole
A side salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers.
A cold beer or glass of red wine pair perfectly with hearty and rich cheesy casseroles.
For some perfect salads to serve alongside, find our recent favorites below:
Broccoli Cauliflower Sausage Casserole Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 12 ounces smoked sausage or andouille, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature, cut into cubes for easier mixing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Bring a large half-full pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add broccoli florets and cauliflower florets to the boiling water and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Stir in smoked sausage and cook for 3 minutes, or until browned on all sides, stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Set broccoli, cauliflower, and sausage mixture in a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, 1 cup shredded cheese, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the broccoli mixture. Stir around until everything is well combined. Add remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
FLAIROSOL OLIVIA. The Original, Advanced Oil Sprayer for Cooking, Salad Dressings and More, Continuous Spray with Portion Control, Trusted by Professional Chefs. Patented Design and Technology. (Glass Bottle, White Print) 130ml/4.4 oz
Electric Salt and Pepper Grinder Set - Battery Operated Stainless Steel Mill with Light (Pack of 2 Mills) - Automatic One Handed Operation - Electronic Adjustable Shakers - Ceramic Grinders
DASH Zakarian 9.5 Inch Small Nonstick Cast Iron Skillet, Titanium Ceramic Coated Frying Pan, Blue
Krokori Baking Dishes, Rectangular Bakeware Set Ceramic Baking Pan Lasagna Pans for Cooking, Kitchen, Cake Dinner, Banquet and Daily Use - 13 x 9 Inches
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 499Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 23gCholesterol 92mgSodium 968mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 17g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.