These spooky caramel apple mummies are sweet, crispy, easy to make, and the perfect Halloween treat. They will delight your kids and impress your dinner guests.
Sweet and Spooky Caramel Apple Mummies
Halloween is one of my favorite times of year and these carmel apple mummies are one of the things my kids look forward to. I love traditional caramel apples but this mummy version takes it to the next level by slicing the apples before adding the carmel and toppings so you get some of that sweet chocolate and carmel in every bite.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Apples – Whenever making anything sweet I always use Granny Smith apples. They are a tart apple which creates a nice contrast with the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate. You can use whichever apples you like but Granny Smith will give you the best result.
- Chocolate Chips – I prefer to use dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet for this recipe since we have caramel and white chocolate going on the apples too which are both very sweet. Dark and semi-sweet chocolate chips will add a slight bitterness which will be complemented by the sweetness of the other ingredients.
- Caramel – For this recipe I use caramel from a jar. You are looking for a thick high quality caramel, you will likely find it with the ice cream toppings in the grocery store. Remember you will be chilling these before serving and it will thicken and stick to the apples then.
- White chocolate chips – white chocolate has a much higher sugar content than dark or milk chocolate which means it will add a nice sweetness right on top of the carmel apples. The color is also crucial though, if we want the apples to look mummified they need to have this white chocolate wrapping.
- Candy eyes – Candy eyes can be hard to find some times of year but around Halloween you should be able to find them at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, or any retailer who sells Halloween decor. You can also of course find them on Amazon or see my tip below for making your own.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Prep – Slice the apples about a ½ inch thick and remove seeds. You can use the end pieces if you want. Then make a small slit in the bottom of each slice with a sharp knife and push the popsicle stick/cake pop stick into the apple to secure it. Set the prepped apple slice on some paper towels and press out as much moisture as you can. It’s important that you push out a lot of the moisture so the chocolate will stick to the apple.
- Melt – Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and spoon the melted chocolate over the apple slices on both sides then put them on the parchment paper. If your chocolate is too thick to pour over the apple slices, you can add a teaspoon or so of oil to help it loosen.
- Drizzle – Using a spoon, drizzle the caramel all over the apple slices followed by the white chocolate for the “mummy” look.
- Decorate – Put 2 candy eyes on each mummy apple and put them in the refrigerator until they have hardened. This usually takes about 15 minutes, the chocolate and caramel should not come off onto your hand when you touch them.
- Enjoy! – Enjoy your spooky treat!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Caramel Apple Mummies:
Making caramel apple mummies is relatively easy but here are some tips and tricks to make it even easier.
You can make your own chocolate eyes and have everything you need in the recipe. If you want to make your own edible eyes, line a baking tray with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Melt the chocolate chips and drop small rounds of them with a toothpick on the parchment paper. Freeze for about 15 minutes then use some melted white chocolate and a toothpick to make the eye pupil and freeze another 15 minutes to set them.
You can use wooden skewers for the stick. If you don’t have cake pop sticks around and want to use something a little stronger than popsicle sticks you can use wooden skewers. They work well since they have a sharp point and will stick to the apple slice well and hold it up. Since they are so long, try cutting one skewer in half to make 2 sticks.
These caramel apple mummies are best served immediately. You can keep them in the refrigerator for about 24 hours covered and they will keep. Just remember to take them out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before eating so the chocolate and caramel will be easier to eat.
Yes you can use candy melts. Follow the instructions on the package to melt them, they will spread well on the apple slices.
Other Halloween Recipes
Try these other Halloween recipes to make your evening extra spooky <Spooky Halloween Punch Recipe – Sweet Cs Designs> <Googly Eye Halloween Cupcakes (sweetcsdesigns.com)> <Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe – Sweet Cs Designs>
Caramel Apple Mummies
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Deliciously spooky chocolate and caramel apple slices decorated to look like spooky mummies!
- 2 medium-large apples, stems removed
- 14-16 candy/cake pop sticks or popsicle sticks
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ¼ cup caramel, at room temperature
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 24-32 candy eyes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Slice apples into ½-¾ inch slices. Make a small slit in the bottom of each slice with a sharp knife, then insert the stick about ½ way. Set aside and pat apples dry with paper towels.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until they start to melt. Heat in additional 15 second intervals until completely smooth
- Spoon chocolate onto both sides of the apples, allowing excess to drip off. Place onto a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with caramel. Melt white chocolate chips using the same directions as chocolate chips. Once melted, drizzle onto apples to create a “mummy” look. Place 2 candy eyes onto each apple.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, approximately 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Sweets Indeed Sprinkles - Bulk Candy Eyeball Shapes - Halloween Sprinkles - Cake Sprinkles - Gluten-Free Sprinkles for Baking - Cupcake and Cake Topper - Sprinkle Mix - Sprinklefetti - 6.00 ounces
Kraft Caramel Bits, 11oz Bag, 1 CT (PACK - 6)
Chocolate Discs by Its Delish, 5 Lbs Bulk | Semi-Sweet Style Dark Chocolate Meltables For Baking & Confectionery, Pastry Chefs, Chocolatiers, Home Bakers & Snacking | Non-Dairy, Vegan, Kosher Parve
Wilton Candy Melts Candy And Chocolate Melting Pot, 2.5 Cups
200PCS 6 Inch White Paper Lollipop Sticks,Paper Treat Sticks Sucker Stick for Cake Toppers,Chocolate,Cookie,Rainbow Candy(3.5mm)
Amount Per Serving Calories 318Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 4mgSodium 51mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 2gSugar 44gProtein 2g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.