Instant Pot Italian Shredded Beef – delicious tangy spicy Italian Beef right from your instant pot in a fraction of the time!
Here at Sweet C’s we know we have lots of types of readers – some who want lots of information about the recipes they are making, some who want just certain tips, and some who want to get straight to the recipe. While our posts are longer and broken up into many sections, we do this to provide you with enough information to feel empowered to make a great dish every time you step in the kitchen, no matter your comfort level cooking.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Spicy Italian Shredded Beef Sandwiches
This Italian Beef is delicious and so easy – toss in the instant pot and let it sow cook until tender, juicy, and delicious!
Chuck roast will slowly break down as it cooks, which often takes a long time. If you don’t have hours and hours to cook a chuck roast, using an Instant Pot is a great timesaver!
I hope you love this Italian Beef recipe as much as we do.
How to Make Instant Pot Italian Shredded Beef
- Olive oil – olive oil helps the roast not stick to the pan or bottom of the instant pot when browning before cooking, as well as giving the jus a bit of fat.
- Chuck roast – cut comes from the cow’s upper shoulder and lower neck areas. Both steaks and roasts come from this area of the cow. Chuck roast tends to be fattier, making it a perfect roast for cooking in the Instant pot, which breaks down fat and tissue quickly.
- Vinegar – vinegar balances out fat, tenderizes meat, and works to tie together the acidic, tart flavors of Italian peppers with the beef.
- Water – it is important to have enough water in a pressure cooker to get it to seal – as the water provides the pressure. Water will also act as the base for our jus. If you want to add more flavor, you can swap beef stock for water, but you must keep the amount the same, as we need the liquid volume to seal the pressure cooker.
- Pepperoncini peppers – pepperoncini pepper’s acidic, spicy, and tangy flavor cuts through fatty beef flavor to balance out a roast, and brings an addictive flavor you can’t get enough of!
- Chopped banana peppers – banana peppers are bright, with a tangy, slightly spicy flavor that is a perfect pairing for rich, fatty beef dishes.
- White onion – onion brings a pungeant, earthy, and vegetal flavor that is not only great to balance out rich, heavy meat dishes – the enzymes in onions also help to tenderize beef and break down their tissue, making them softer, and easier to chew.
- Minced garlic – garlic brings an earthy, umami-friendly flavor that balances out rich fat, and enhances chuck roast’s addictive savory flavor.
- Giardiniera – for even more of a spicy kick, topping sandwiches with Giardiniera is a MUST! Giardiniera is an Italian relish of pickled vegetables in vinegar or oil, which helps cut through the rich meat and fat flavor and brings a tart and spicy kick to your meal.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Brown beef. If using chuck roast that is not fully frozen, give it a quick sear in a pan to brown both sides. This will add color and flavor before pressure cooking.
- Cook in instant pot. Place ingredients in an instant pot and seal. Cook 20 minutes per pound of meat if from refrigerator, 30 minutes per pound of meat if frozen. Let naturally release.
- Make jus. While letting roast rest, and shredding, use instant pot to boil cooking liquid to make jus to serve with beef. This delicious sauce is great to dip your sandwich in!
- Shred and serve. Shred roast when hot, but not too hot to handle. Use forks, tongs, or you can also put the roast in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (make sure there are no bones) and it will shred your roast perfectly for you!
What To Serve With Shredded Italian Beef
This shredded Italian beef is amazing on its own, on a bun, in keto rolls, in a wrap, or served in hoagies – but we’re rounding up some of our favorite side dishes to serve with Italian Shredded Beef below:
- The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Cheddar and Garlic Jalapeno Poppers
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Loaded Nacho Fries
- Hot Totchos (Hot Dog Tater Tot Nachos)
- Spicy Skillet Linguica Queso Dip
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Shredded Italian Beef
Brown before adding to Instant Pot. I personally like to brown my chuck roast before cooking- whether in a pan and added into the instant pot, or in the base of the instant pot using the saute function.
How long to cook chuck roast in the Instant Pot. Our general rule of thumb is to cook 20 minutes per pound of meat at high pressure for a chuck roast.
Cook from frozen. For a completely frozen roast, cook 30 minutes per pound of meat.
This Italian beef can be stored in an airtight container for up to four days in the refrigerator.
Leftovers can be frozen for up to four months.
If your roast isn’t fork tender after cooking, add another 5-10 minutes at pressure in the Instant Pot.
After making sure there are no bones, shred with forks, or place the entire roast in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high – it will shred the roast perfectly for you!
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can make this recipe in a slow cooker. Cooke on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 5-6 hours, until fork-tender and beef can easily shred.
Instant Pot Shredded Italian Beef Recipe Picture
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Instant Pot Italian Shredded Beef - delicious tangy spicy Italian Beef right from your instant pot in a fraction of the time!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3lb chuck roast
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped banana peppers
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- Giardiniera - to garnish
- Drizzle oil over the bottom of Instant Pot.
- Add chuck roast.
- Pour vinegar and oil over roast.
- Add peppers, butter, salt, pepper on top of roast.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set to seal.
- Cook on high pressure for 55 minutes.
- Let naturally release.
- Remove chuck roast and set in large bowl or baking sheet.
- Turn Instant pot to sauté and reduce any juices to make a spicy jus.
- While jus is reducing, shred roast.
- Serve in buns for a sandwich, or on plate for keto Italian shredded beef.
- Top with jus, if desired.
Serving Sizeabout 1/2 cup shredded roast
Amount Per Serving Calories 456Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 141mgSodium 1978mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 43g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.