Easy Shrimp Scampi
Mar 24, 2023, Updated Nov 09, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Shrimp scampi is a classic Italian-American dish that features succulent shrimp cooked in a garlic butter sauce and served over pasta.
The dish is typically made with large, juicy shrimp that are cooked with garlic, lemon juice, white wine, and butter, resulting in a deliciously rich and flavorful sauce.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Garlic Lemon Shrimp Pasta
Shrimp Scampi is a dish that is both simple to make and elegant to serve, making it a perfect option for a special dinner or a quick weeknight meal. Shrimp scampi is often garnished with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese, and can be served with a variety of side dishes, including pasta, rice, or crusty bread.
How to Make Shrimp Scampi
To make this recipe, we will need the following ingredients:
- Pasta: Provides the base for the dish and adds a chewy texture that complements the tender shrimp and creamy sauce.
- Olive oil: Adds a rich, fruity flavor to the dish and helps to sauté the shrimp.
- Shrimp: Brings a sweet, tender flavor and meaty texture to the dish. It is the star ingredient of the dish.
- Butter: Adds richness and creaminess to the dish, and helps to thicken the sauce.
- Garlic: Provides a pungent, savory flavor that complements the sweetness of the shrimp and the acidity of the lemon juice.
- White wine: Adds a bright, acidic flavor that balances the richness of the butter and the sweetness of the shrimp.
- Lemon juice and zest: Adds a tart, tangy flavor that complements the shrimp and adds a bright freshness to the dish.
- Kosher salt: Enhances the flavors of the other ingredients and helps to balance the dish.
- Red pepper flakes: Adds a subtle heat that balances the sweetness of the shrimp and adds complexity to the dish.
- Fresh parsley: Adds a fresh, herbaceous flavor that complements the shrimp and brightens up the dish. It is also used as a garnish to add a pop of color to the plate.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of starchy pasta water before draining the pasta.
- Cook shrimp: In a large high sided skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel and sprinkle them lightly with kosher salt. Add the shrimp to the olive oil and sear it for 2 minutes on the first side, or until lightly browned. Flip the shrimp and cook it for an additional minute on the second side.
- Make sauce: To the pan, add the butter and garlic and stir until the butter has melted. Add the white wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then add the pasta. Stir to combine. If the sauce is too dry, add a splash of reserved pasta water and toss to combine.
- Serve: Remove the scampi from the heat and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy immediately.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Shrimp Scampi
Cook the pasta al dente: Make sure to cook the pasta just right to have a perfect texture.
Use fresh and high-quality ingredients: Always try to use fresh ingredients and high-quality shrimp for better taste and texture.
Don’t overcook the shrimp: Shrimp cook quickly and overcooking them can make them tough and rubbery.
Use a large skillet: A large skillet can help cook the shrimp evenly without overcrowding the pan.
Add more garlic and butter: If you love garlic and butter, feel free to add more to your liking to make the dish even more flavorful.
Add lemon zest and parsley at the end: Lemon zest and parsley can bring fresh flavor and color to the dish. Add them right before serving for the best taste and presentation.
Serve with crusty bread or garlic bread: Shrimp scampi is a delicious dish that can be served with crusty bread or garlic bread to soak up the flavorful sauce.
Spaghetti, linguine, and angel hair pasta are the most commonly used pastas for shrimp scampi. They all have a thin and delicate texture that complements the lightness of the dish.
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp, but it is important to properly thaw them before cooking. Thaw the shrimp in the refrigerator overnight or under cold running water.
Yes, you can substitute white wine with chicken or vegetable broth or even lemon juice. However, white wine adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish.
To devein shrimp, use a sharp paring knife or kitchen shears to make a shallow cut along the back of the shrimp. Remove the dark vein with the tip of the knife or your fingers.
Shrimp cook very quickly, so shrimp scampi can be ready in under 10 minutes. Cook the shrimp until they turn pink and opaque, which usually takes about 2-3 minutes per side.
Shrimp scampi pairs well with crusty bread, pasta, or rice, and a simple green salad on the side.
What to Serve With Shrimp Scampi
Rice or pasta: To soak up the delicious sauce, you can serve shrimp scampi over Easy Rice Pilaf or pasta.
Caesar salad: A crisp and refreshing Caesar salad makes a great accompaniment to the rich flavors of shrimp scampi.
Grilled vegetables: Another great option is to grill vegetables like bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms and serve them alongside the shrimp scampi.
Caprese salad: A simple Caprese salad with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil can add a burst of freshness to your shrimp scampi meal.
Wine: A glass of white wine, such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio, pairs well with the light and flavorful shrimp scampi dish.
Shrimp Scampi Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 box (16 ounces) pasta (spaghetti, linguine, or angel hair)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ½ cup of starchy pasta water before draining the pasta.
- In a large high sided skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel and sprinkle them lightly with kosher salt. Add the shrimp to the olive oil and sear it for 2 minutes on the first side, or until lightly browned. Flip the shrimp and cook it for an additional minute on the second side.
- To the pan, add the butter and garlic and stir until the butter has melted.
- Add the white wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then add the pasta. Stir to combine.
- If the sauce is too dry, add a splash of reserved pasta water and toss to combine.
- Remove the scampi from the heat and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Spaghetti Server, [Rustproof, Integral Forming, Durable] Newness 304 Stainless Steel Pasta Fork with Vacuum Ergonomic Handle, Comfortable Grip Design Spaghetti Server for Kitchen, 14.33 Inches
Gotham Steel 5 Quart Stock Pot Ceramic Multipurpose Pasta Pot with Strainer Lid & Twist and Lock Handles, Tempered Glass Lid, Dishwasher Safe, Aqua Blue
Kitchen Gizmo Snap N Strain Pot Strainer and Pasta Strainer - Adjustable Silicone Clip On Strainer for Pots, Pans, and Bowls - Lime Green
Versatile Stainless Steel Spider Strainer/Skimmer/Ladle for Cooking and Frying, Chirano Kitchen Gadgets Wire Strainer Pasta Strainer Spoon (6 Inch)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 295Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 262mgSodium 1302mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 26g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.