Green chile spaghetti squash skillet – delicious easy spaghetti squash topped with spicy Colorado green chile and cheese for a quick meal you’ll want to eat over and over!
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Garlic & Green Chile Spaghetti Squash
Strands of slightly sweet, garlicky spaghetti squash tossed in a smoky, spicy green chile sauce topped with crumbled cotija cheese for a delicious low carb meal that is full of flavor.
This spaghetti squash bowl has become one of my favorite new recipes – it is my go-to lunch, and so easy to whip up.
I hope you love this delicious low carb skillet as much as I do!
How To Make Green Chile Spaghetti Squash
For my favorite green chile sauce recipe, please click here. It was inspired by my recent trip to Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Cañon City Colorado.
If you’d like to buy green chile sauce, grab for brands who usse roasted green chiles and not a lot of fillers.
Watch labels closely – many green chile sauces use flour to thicken, so if you’re keto or celiac, you need to be extra careful or consider making your own to prevent gluten contamination.
How To Bake Spaghetti Squash
This recipe is super simple and easy to prepare in just a few minutes – but you do need to have cooked spaghetti squash.
Thankfully, cooking spaghetti squash is incredibly simple and can be done from whole:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half.
- Using a spoon, scrape out strings and seeds, leaving squash flesh.
- Place squash on baking sheet.
- Bake until soft, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool until you can hold squash without burning hands.
- Using a fork, scrape squash flesh as it “shreds” itself. Scrape all the way to the peel.
- Remove spaghetti squash “strands” and set aside for cooking with green chile sauce.
To use spaghetti squash prepped and cut in a bag from the grocery store:
- I personally love using pre-prepped bags of spaghetti squash from the grocery store.
- They are uncooked cubes, but you can microwave them right in the bag and then shred into a skillet with browned garlic and shallots.
- Follow bag instructions to microwave.
- After microwaving, let cool until you can touch without burning fingers.
- Shred with two forks and set aside.
Tips & Tricks To Perfect Spicy Spaghetti Squash
This easy meal should be eaten within 2 days for bests flavor.
While the recipe is ok to eat for up to four days in the refrigerator, I personally think the texture gets too mushy after a day or two.
If you cooked a bunch of spaghetti squash and want to use it up, this recipe is perfect for using leftover cooked squash!
I prefer to make my own green chile from Pueblo chilies – but because Pueblo chilies can be hard to find even in Colorado (outside of Pueblo), I will often grab for a medium green chile sauce from 505 made from Hatch chilies.
This dish was meant to be a great fresh, easy base for a meal – top with grilled or roasted meats, fish, vegetables, tofu, or chicken for a filling dinner.
What to Serve With Spaghetti Squash
This recipe is amazingly rich, spicy, and hearty on it’s own – but it is great with steak, pork, chicken, and fish for a complete meal!
Toss grilled meats or veggies on top to make your own spaghetti squash bowls, or serve alongside your favorite dishes for a hearty squash noodle bowl.
You can also top it with my favorite green chile pork carnitas recipe!
Green Chile Spaghetti Squash Skillet Recipe
If you love this easy recipe, please be sure to rate it five stars (click the stars in the recipe below) and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
- 16 oz cooked spaghetti squash (about 1 whole squash), shredded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup green chile sauce (some will want more sauce, I sometimes go up to a cup of sauce depending on my tastes that day)
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- cilantro, to garnish, optional
- In large skillet on medium high heat, melt butter until foamy.
- Add shallot and garlic and heat until soft and fragrant, stirring to prevent burning, about 1 minute.
- Add spaghetti squash to pan and toss well.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin. Mix well.
- Add green chile sauce to pan and stir. Cook until piping hot, about 5 minutes.
- Top with crumbled cotjia cheese and cilantro, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 155Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 23mgSodium 903mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.