Green Chili Whiskey Onion Burgers
Apr 30, 2021, Updated Nov 29, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Green chili whiskey onion burgers are rich, smoky, sweet, and a little spicy – with no grill needed! Tons of southwestern flavor in every bite.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Green Chili Whiskey Onion Burgers
In Colorado, there is one ingredient that we seem to love more than anything.
It’s in eggs, burritos, tacos, on hot dogs and burgers… pretty much anywhere you look, it is there.
This magical stuff? Green chilis.
There is nothing like delicious smoky and slightly spicy green chili in all sorts of recipes – it’s a quintessentially Denver ingredient (never mind the fact we use green chilis from New Mexico… it is still very much a part of Colorado cuisine.)
While I love having burgers often, they are kind of a pain in the butt on days it’s raining or I don’t want to turn on the grill – so pan fried hamburgers are a huge staple in our house. They are juicy, caramelized, rich, and full of meaty flavor just like burgers off the grill – no charcoal or propane needed!
How To Pan Fry Hamburgers
These hamburgers are perfect just in a pan – I’m using my best pan grilled burger method to make pan fried hamburgers great.
- Don’t crowd the pan with too many burgers.
- Adding too many burgers to a pan will cause your burgers to steam, instead of brown. This will make your burgers tougher, and they won’t have a lovely browned appearance – they will look a bit grey.
- Prevent this by giving burgers enough room in the pan to keep the pan at high heat – cook in batches instead of adding all in at once if needed.
- Use butter.
- I love the rich salty flavor pan frying burgers with just a little butter in the pan gives this dish.
- Use high heat.
- Burgers should be fried – not steamed or slowly pan-roasted for the best juicy never-dry flavor.
- Use high heat to cook your burgers fast for the best flavor.
- Steam the cheese.
- If you’re pan frying burgers and adding cheese, try placing the cheese on the burger, adding 1 tbsp water to the pan, and adding a lid over the pan to steam the cheese, making it perfectly melted.
Honey Whiskey Caramelized Onions
These burgers use my whiskey honey onions recipe – they are smoky, sweet, and SO delicious – they will become your favorite caramelized onion recipe, ever!
What to Serve With Pan Fried Burgers
These delicious side dishes are guaranteed to wow your family – they are simple, easy, and bursting with flavor!
Try my favorite sides with these burgers, Crunchy Baked Fries, Paleo Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Fries, Baked Carrot Fries, Easy Baked Zucchini Chips, Easy Baked Sweet Potato Chips, The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries.
You can find our complete side dish recipe index here.
What Green Chilis to Use
For the green chilis, I find the frozen kind in my grocery store and sauté them with garlic powder, butter, and a sprinkle of cumin. It makes them extra smoky and delicious!
We have several local grocery stores in Northern Colorado that fire roast green chilis every year and then sell them – or freeze the smoked chilis and then sell them throughout the year – I always try to stock up when they come out with the next years batch!
But you can also just use chopped green chili, or even green chili sauce!
I like Hatch 505 Honey Green Chili Sauce, affiliate link above with my burger making favorites, like an amazing burger press, my favorite heavy iron pan, and burger shapers!!!
Green Chili Whiskey Onion Burgers Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 batch whiskey honey onions
- 1 lb beef, shaped into 4 patties
- 1 tbsp ghee
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- For the green chili:
- 1 cup diced green chilis
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp butter
- OR 1/2 cup green chili sauce per burger
- In pan you used to make whiskey honey onions (DONT CLEAN PAN AFTER MAKING, it will give more flavor to the burgers), melt ghee over medium high heat.
- Shape burgers into patties (I like to use a burger press).
- Generously season burgers with salt and pepper.
- Add burgers to pan when ghee is melted, and cook 5 minutes on each side.
- When burgers are done to your liking, add a slice of cheese (if desired), and add lid to pan to melt cheese.
- When cheese is melted, remove from pan.
- Add green chilis to burger bun and place burger on top.
- Garnish with onions, place bun on top, and serve immediately!
- For the green chilis: sauté in pan with butter, garlic powder, and cumin until hot. Use as burger garnish; OR add sauce to burger bun.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Cast Iron Lid - Fits 12"-Inch Lodge Skillet Frying Pans or Braiser + Silicone Handle Holder + Care Guide - 30.48-cm Pre-Seasoned Universal Replacement Cover - Indoor/Outdoor, Oven, Open Fire, BBQ Safe
Cuisinart Smashed Burger Press, Cast Iron CISB-111
Utopia Kitchen 12.5 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast iron Skillet - Frying Pan - Safe Grill Cookware for indoor & Outdoor Use - Chef's Pan - Cast Iron Pan (Black)
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 602Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 174mgSodium 578mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 33g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.