Whole chicken in a pressure cooker results in a tender and juicy bird, infused with flavor from seasonings, in a fraction of the time it would take using traditional oven-roasting methods.
Pressure Cooker Chicken
An Instant Pot is an electric multi-cooker that combines several kitchen appliances into one compact and user-friendly device. It functions as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker, and more. It is designed to simplify and speed up cooking processes, while producing consistent and high-quality results. The Instant Pot operates using high pressure and precise temperature control, allowing it to cook food quickly and efficiently while retaining its flavor and nutrients. This has made it a popular kitchen appliance among home cooks and busy families – and the perfect easy way to cook a tasty whole chicken!
Cooking chicken in an Instant Pot can result in a delicious and juicy chicken due to several reasons:
- Quick cooking time: The Instant Pot uses high pressure to cook food quickly, which helps to retain the moisture and flavor of the chicken.
- Steaming effect: The high pressure and steam created in the Instant Pot helps to cook the chicken evenly, resulting in tender and juicy meat.
- One-pot convenience: By cooking the chicken in the Instant Pot along with other ingredients such as vegetables and seasonings, the chicken can absorb additional flavors, resulting in a delicious and well-rounded dish.
- Easy clean up: The Instant Pot’s non-stick inner pot makes cleaning up after cooking a breeze.
Overall, the Instant Pot is a convenient and effective way to cook chicken that results in a delicious, juicy, and flavorful dish.
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Whole chicken – A whole roasted chicken is a classic dish that can be seasoned and cooked in various ways to achieve delicious and moist meat with crispy skin – and in an Instant Pot, it is faster than ever! It’s a versatile dish that can be served as a main course for a family dinner or as an ingredient in other recipes such as salads, soups, and sandwiches. Roasting a whole chicken also provides an opportunity to use the bones to make a rich and flavorful chicken stock.
- Chicken broth – Adding chicken broth while roasting a chicken in an Instant Pot helps to keep the meat moist and flavorful, and also creates a flavorful cooking liquid that can be used for making sauces or gravies. The broth helps to prevent the chicken from drying out during cooking, and it also provides an opportunity to add seasonings and aromatics that will infuse the chicken with additional flavor.
- Garlic powder – garlic powder is a perfect flavoring for whole chicken for lots of reasons:
- Flavor: Garlic powder has a strong and intense garlic flavor that adds depth and richness to chicken dishes.
- Versatility: Garlic powder can be used in a wide variety of cuisines and dishes, making it a versatile addition to chicken seasoning.
- Health benefits: Garlic has been linked to various health benefits, including a reduced risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure, and improved immune function.
- Easy to use: Garlic powder is easy to find and can be added to chicken dishes in several forms, such as a powder, paste, or oil.
- No waste: Unlike fresh garlic, garlic powder has a long shelf life and does not spoil quickly, so there is no waste.
- Sweet paprika – Paprika is a perfect seasoning for chicken, for many reasons:
- Flavor: Paprika is a flavorful spice that can add a mild to moderate heat and sweet, smoky, or earthy undertones to chicken dishes.
- Color: Paprika also gives a vibrant red color to the chicken, making it visually appealing.
- Versatility: Paprika can be used in a variety of cuisines and dishes, making it a versatile addition to chicken seasoning.
- Health benefits: Paprika is a rich source of antioxidants, which can have health benefits when consumed in moderation.
- Easy to use: Paprika is easy to find and can be added to chicken dishes in several forms, such as a powder, paste, or oil.
- Olive oil – Olive oil helps to lock in moisture and prevent the chicken from drying out, which can lead to a crispier exterior – as well as helping herbs and spices stick to chicken.
- Melted butter – Butter is a rich and flavorful ingredient that adds a creamy and rich taste to the chicken, as well as helping to keep the chicken moist and prevents it from drying out during cooking. Butter can help the skin of the chicken to brown more evenly and deeply, resulting in a crispier texture.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following process:
- Prep. Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. Place in a bowl or a plate. In a small bowl mix the spices with the olive oil and butter. Spread the mixture all over the chicken. Place the trivet in the instant pot. Pour the chicken broth into the instant pot. Transfer the chicken to a trivet inside the instant pot.
- Pressure cook. Close the lid, place on sealing, select high pressure, and cook for 30 minutes. When the cooking time is over, do a quick release. Remove the chicken from the instant pot and place it on a baking sheet.
- Broil. Place in the oven under broil for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Rest. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Pick sides to serve with chicken. When it comes to what you can serve with the Instant Pot Whole Chicken, the options are nearly endless! From roasted vegetables and potatoes to salads and grains, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. For a healthy side dish, try roasting a variety of colorful vegetables such as carrots, celery, bell peppers and shallots. You can also add some cooked grains such as quinoa, couscous or brown rice. For a quick and easy salad, try tossing together baby greens with your favorite dressing.
Use pressure release. Using pressure release in an Instant Pot helps to quickly and safely release pressure build-up inside the pot, which allows you to open the lid and access the food. It also helps to prevent the food from overcooking and keeps it at the desired texture and flavor. Additionally, pressure release helps to reduce the risk of burns and other accidents that may occur if the pressure is not released properly.
The best way to store the chicken is by refrigerating or freezing it. To refrigerate, first allow your chicken to cool down and then place in an airtight container or wrap tightly with plastic wrap. The chicken will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To freeze, wrap chicken tightly with aluminum foil or place it in an airtight freezer-safe container. Frozen chicken can last up to 3 months before you need to discard it.
Yes! Feel free to experiment with different seasonings and flavors when making this recipe. You can use any combination of herbs and spices you like, such as oregano, thyme, rosemary or cumin. Just make sure to adjust the amount of salt you use depending on how salty the other seasonings are.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken for this recipe. However, it’s important to note that when using frozen chicken the cooking time may need to be adjusted. To ensure the chicken is cooked through before serving, insert a digital thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken and make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Yes, you can definitely add vegetables while cooking your Instant Pot Whole Chicken. Simply place the vegetables in the bottom of the pot, top with the chicken, and cook according to the instructions in the recipe.
What to Serve With Whole Instant Pot Chicken
Whole roasted chicken is full of hearty, delicious flavor that is perfect alongside Salade de Chèvre Chaud, The Best Easy Air Fryer French Fries, a light and delicious Wild Rice Pilaf, Perfect Sauteed Mushrooms, or some Easy Pasta Salad!
For more of our favorite sides, find our favorites below:
Instant Pot Whole Chicken
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Delicious whole roasted chicken right in an instant pot.
- 1 whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoons cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
- Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. Place in a bowl or a plate.
- In a small bowl mix the spices with the olive oil and butter. Spread the mixture all over the chicken.
- Place the trivet in the instant pot. Pour the chicken broth into the instant pot.
- Transfer the chicken to a trivet inside the instant pot.
- Close the lid, place on sealing, select high pressure, and cook for 30 minutes. When the cooking time is over, do a quick release. Remove the chicken from the instant pot and place it on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven under broil for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 596Total Fat 54gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 40gCholesterol 99mgSodium 582mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 28g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
This instant pot chicken recipe is super easy to follow, thanks!
Glad you enjoyed it!