Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
Dec 02, 2022, Updated Apr 11, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This creamy delicious veggie, chicken, and cheese packed taco soup is a quick and easy winner dinner!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Shredded Chicken Taco Soup with Cream Cheese
Some nights when I don’t feel like cooking my husband will pick up two rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. They are so delicious but I used to get annoyed with how much would get wasted because some of the meat is harder to get at. This chicken taco soup is one of my favorites to make the day after a rotisserie chicken dinner since the flavors are so different but you can make good use of those leftovers.
In the cooler months of the year I love to make all different kinds of soups that warm my family from the inside out. This chicken taco soup is an ode to my family’s love of Mexican food. We have so many amazing Mexican restaurants in Northern Colorado and this soup is inspired by their authentic fresh flavors.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil – olive oil will help the vegetables not stick to the pot when cooked in the pot.
- Onion – when cooked, onions have a very sweet taste and are a perfect base for a soup.
- Bell Pepper – bell peppers have a sweet and mild flavor and add a meatiness to the soup.
- Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chilies – If you’re not using Rotel diced tomatoes, you can use regular ones, but I suggest adding a can or two of diced green chilies as well (the 4 oz. size ones) since it really makes a difference in the way the soup tastes.
- Chicken broth – chicken broth helps bring all the flavors together and gives a strong base for the soup broth.
- Garlic powder – garlic powder is a convenient way to get a punch of pungent garlic in your soup.
- Ground cumin – cumin has a warm earthy taste and a bittersweet aromatic smell, it blends well with the other spices.
- Smoked paprika – paprika has an earthy smoky flavor that will add some heat to the soup.
- Chili powder – chili powder is the base of every Tex-Mex flavor combination.
- Corn – I use drained and rinsed canned corn for a sweet element and to give the soup body.
- Black Beans – drain and rinse your canned beans before using. Beans are a great way to get extra protein into this soup and a meaty texture.
- Cream Cheese – cream cheese will make this soup thick and creamy. Make sure you let it soften before adding it or it will be clumpy.
- Rotisserie chicken shredded – pre-cooked rotisserie chicken makes the recipe simpler since you don’t have to worry about cooking the protein. You can substitute with shredded pork if you prefer.
- Salt & pepper – salt and pepper are essential seasonings in every dish. Make sure you taste the soup and adjust as needed.
- Toppings – shredded Tex-Mex cheese blend, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips or whatever you choose will give the soup an extra fresh or crunchy element.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Step 1 – Leave the cream cheese out on the countertop until softened. Add oil to a large stock pot and heat over medium. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 – Add all the remaining ingredients except the cream cheese and chicken.
- Step 3 – Increase the heat to bring the soup to a boil then turn down and simmer for 5 minutes. Cut the cream cheese into small chunks and let it melt, you may need to stir it a bit.
- Step 4 – Stir in the chicken and heat another 5-7 minutes until warm through. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Step 5 – Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
Check out our tips and tricks for other ways to prepare and store this soup.
Freeze leftovers. This soup freezes well and reheats well later on. You can put cooled leftovers in a plastic freezer bag, pushing all the air out when you seal it. Be sure to write “Chicken Taco Soup” and the date on the bag before freezing. It will keep up to 6 months in the freezer.
Make it Vegetarian. This soup can be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken and doubling the amount of black beans.
Try using low sodium chicken broth to decrease the salt content if desired.
I like to keep leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can easily reheat in a pot on the stove.
The cream cheese makes this a relatively mild Chicken Taco Soup. If you don’t want it spicy at all use regular diced tomatoes instead of tomatoes with green chilies.
What to Serve with Chicken Taco Soup?
Creamy Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chilies with juices
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can corn drained
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) block of cream cheese (I used Philly) softened
- 2 cups cooked/rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Toppings (optional): shredded Tex-Mex cheese blend, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips, etc.
- Take the cream cheese out of the fridge at least an hour ahead of time to let it soften up, or microwave it for 20-30 seconds until it's soft.
- Add the oil and onion to a soup pot and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining soup ingredients to the pot except for the cream cheese and chicken.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Turn down the heat so it's simmering gently (uncovered) for 5 minutes. While the soup cooks, prep your toppings.
- Cut the cream cheese into smaller pieces and add it to the soup. Let it melt in (you may have to stir it a fair bit until it's fully incorporated).
- Stir in the chicken and cook for another 5-7 minutes or so until it's warmed through.
- Season the soup with salt & pepper and serve with toppings as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Wooden Spoon Set
Kitchen Mama Electric Can Opener: Open Your Cans with A Simple Push of Button - Smooth Edge, Food-Safe and Battery Operated Handheld Can Opener(Red)
3.8 Quart Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Stock Pot - Heavy Duty Cooking Pot Casserole for Soups, Chili, Pasta, Curries, Stews, Includes Lid, Compatible with All Stove Tops, Oven and Dishwasher Safe
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 376Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 105mgSodium 1267mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 7gSugar 9gProtein 26g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.