Baked toasted ravioli is a healthier alternative to deep-fried toasted ravioli, where the breaded ravioli is baked in the oven until crispy and golden brown, resulting in a delicious and guilt-free appetizer or snack.
Don't want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Toasted Ravioli
Toasted ravioli is a popular appetizer that is thought to have originated in St. Louis, Missouri - made by breading and deep-frying meat or cheese-filled ravioli, and is typically served with marinara sauce for dipping. The result is a crispy and savory snack that is similar in texture and flavor to fried mozzarella sticks - making this recipe a great appetizer or main dish!
Toasted ravioli is best served as an appetizer or party snack, and pairs well with a variety of drinks such as beer, wine, and soda. It is a delicious and crowd-pleasing dish that is sure to be a hit at any gathering!
How to Make Toasted Ravioli
To make this recipe, we will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh or frozen cheese ravioli: The star ingredient of the dish, which provides a delicious and cheesy filling that contrasts well with the crispy coating.
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs: Provides a crunchy and flavorful coating that complements the soft and tender ravioli.
- Grated parmesan cheese: Adds a nutty and slightly salty flavor to the dish, and helps to bind the breadcrumbs to the ravioli.
- Eggs: Used to coat the ravioli and help the breadcrumb mixture to adhere to it.
- Milk: Helps to create a smooth and even coating on the ravioli, and adds a slight richness to the dish.
- Salt and pepper, to taste: Enhances the flavors of the dish and adds a touch of seasoning.
- Marinara sauce, for serving: The perfect dipping sauce for the crispy baked ravioli, which provides a bright and tangy contrast to the savory and crunchy coating.
Once you've gathered the ingredients, we will use the following process:
- Prep. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. In another shallow bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese.
- Dip. Dip each ravioli in the egg mixture, then coat it in the breadcrumb mixture. Place the coated ravioli on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake the ravioli for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve! Remove the crispy baked ravioli from the oven and serve hot with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Crispy Toasted Ravioli
Use fresh or frozen ravioli: Fresh or frozen ravioli works best for this recipe, as they are less likely to fall apart during the breading and baking process.
Bread the ravioli twice: For an extra crispy coating, dip the ravioli in the egg mixture and breadcrumbs twice before baking.
Use a wire rack: Place the breaded ravioli on a wire rack set on top of a baking sheet. This will allow the heat to circulate around the ravioli and prevent them from getting soggy on the bottom.
Spray the ravioli with cooking spray: Before baking, lightly spray the breaded ravioli with cooking spray. This will help them to brown evenly and create a crispy crust.
Bake at a high temperature: Bake the ravioli at a high temperature, around 425°F (218°C), to ensure that they get crispy and golden brown.
Serve immediately: Toasted ravioli is best served hot and fresh out of the oven. Letting it sit for too long can cause it to lose its crispiness.
Pre-assemble and freeze: Breaded ravioli can be frozen before baking, then baked from frozen when ready!
Yes, you can use any type of ravioli you like for this recipe, whether it's meat-filled or cheese-filled.
Yes, you can use store-bought Italian seasoned breadcrumbs for this recipe. Alternatively, you can make your own breadcrumbs by grinding up stale bread and mixing it with Italian seasonings.
While toasted ravioli is best served hot and fresh out of the oven, you can prepare the breaded ravioli in advance and keep them in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Yes, you can freeze the breaded ravioli for up to 1 month. To freeze, place the breaded ravioli on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until solid. Then, transfer them to a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer.
What to Serve With Baked Breaded Ravioli
- Marinara sauce: Toasted ravioli is traditionally served with marinara sauce for dipping. Make sure to have plenty of sauce on hand!
- Red pepper sauce: A light red pepper sauce is a great tangy, smoky dip for ravioli.
- Salad: Serve toasted ravioli with a fresh Greek salad dressed with balsamic vinaigrette for a balanced and nutritious meal, or a cheesy Easy Pasta Salad for an over the top flavor combination!
- Grilled vegetables: Add some grilled vegetables such as zucchini, bell peppers, or eggplant for a nutritious and tasty side dish.
- Garlic bread: Serve toasted ravioli with garlic knots or Texas Toast for a classic and comforting combination.
- Antipasto platter: Pair toasted ravioli with an antipasto platter or cheese plate consisting of cured meats, cheeses, olives, and pickled vegetables for a Mediterranean-inspired meal. You can also try a keto Pub Cheese Board!
- Beer or wine: Toasted ravioli pairs well with a cold beer or a glass of red wine for a casual and enjoyable dining experience.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to serving toasted ravioli. Get creative and enjoy this delicious and comforting appetizer with your favorite sides and drinks!
For some of our favorite easy appetizers, find our recent favorites below:
Crispy Baked Toasted Ravioli Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Crispy, crunchy breaded ravioli baked to perfection in under 30 minutes!
- 1 pound of fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 cup whole milk plus 2 tbsp
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Marinara sauce, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook the ravioli according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, 2 tablespoon of the milk, salt, and pepper.
- In another shallow bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese.
- Dip each ravioli in the milk then toss in the flour.
- Set each ravioli into the egg mixture, then coat it in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the coated ravioli on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the ravioli for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the crispy baked ravioli from the oven and serve hot with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Amount Per Serving Calories 372Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 88mgSodium 1029mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 17g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.