Easy Loaded Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
Easy Loaded Leftover Mashed Potato Soup is a delicious way to use up mashed potatoes from Christmas or Thanksgiving – stovetop or slow cooker recipes included!
With Thanksgiving coming up, it’s time to start thinking of ways to use up all those leftovers.
We always have a lot of meat leftover, but somehow it seems like our mashed potatoes have a mind of their own and reproduce like a ton of bunnies.
Seriously- how is it we always end up with a metric ton of spuds?
There’s only so many times you can eat the same thing- so this Easy Slow Cooker Leftover Mashed Potato Soup recipe is one of my favorite ways to make a new meal out of leftover mashed potatoes.
This recipe is so great because there is virtually no prep.
I just toss everything in the slow cooker and then use an immersion blender to smooth the soup out when it is ready to serve, if needed (which is rare, I like chunks of potatoes in my soup).
Who wants to slave away in the kitchen after all the work of Thanksgiving? Not me! This is a super easy soup that will keep you out of the kitchen, but give you something hearty and warm to share with your family.
If you try this recipe and like it- and want to try a variation- try cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup instead of the cream!
You would also sub out some broth and add more mashed potatoes if you’d like a soup that isnt as thick. Or add in some carrots and celery and then blend the soup before serving to sneak in some veggies!
For the easiest Mashed Potatoes ever- check out my Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes!
This soup is even tastier topped with chives, cilantro or TONS of crumbled bacon. You can never have too much bacon with potato soup, can you?
Easy Loaded Leftover Mashed Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup diced garlic
- 12 oz chicken , vegetable, or beef stock
- ½ pound leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chives or green onions, to garnish
- crumbled bacon, to garnish
- Add butter to stock pot and heat on medium high until melted and foamy.
- Add garlic to pan, sautee until lightly browned.
- Add in potatoes, stock, cream, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Let stock cook down slightly, until soup is a thick stew about 10 minutes (reduce less for a thinner soup - make to your personal preference.)
- If needed/desired, use an immersion blender or pour into a blender to make a smooth, even consistency.
- Spoon into bowls and top with chives, green onion, and crumbled bacon.
- Slow cooker -
- Lightly brown butter and garlic in a small pan - cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Remove butter and lightly browned garlic and add to slow cooker.
- Add mashed potatoes, cream, and stock to slow cooker.
- Stir to mix well.
- Stir well and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Before serving, use an immersion blender to make more smooth.
- You can also pour soup into a blender if needed.
- Serve with bacon, chives and any other favorite potato soup topping!
- This recipe also freezes well.