Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe – simple, hearty soup packed with tons of flavor thanks to red cabbage and Polish sausage!
This hearty and delicious Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup tastes just like a cabbage roll with sausage – but in a rich, comforting hot soup!
I absolutely love cabbage soup in the winter – it is simple, healthy, bursting with flavor – and full of ingredients you can feel good about. It warms you up without making you feel heavy or greasy – and is one of my
This one pot cabbage roll soup is low carb, making this a keto cabbage soup recipe you can eat over and over again without the guilt!
Just take me to the Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe already!
If you want to get straight to this easy and delicious Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe, and skip over my helpful tips and tricks and similar recipe ideas, please scroll to the bottom of the post – just before comments. I get a lot of questions, so I try to add a ton of helpful information into my posts to save a bit of time!
Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup in the Slow Cooker
While I am making this easy cabbage and sausage soup on the stovetop, it can easily be made in the slow cooker!
Follow these simple steps to get a delicious Slow Cooker Sausage and Cabbage Soup Recipe:
- Add all ingredients except stock to slow cooker and let cook down, about 2 hours, until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in stock, water, and herbs and cover – cook until piping hot and well combined, about 1-2 hours.
- If freezing, brown the vegetables quickly – so they have a little color – but don’t let them get very soft. Thawing will make vegetables in this soup break down even more, so I recommend only very briefly softening them for flavor – not to get soft – when freezing this easy sausage and cabbage soup.
Is Cabbage Keto?
This cabbage and sausage soup is perfect for a keto diet – but if you’re following the low carb eating plan (my husband has completely changed the way he looks and feels from it, so I have taken it back up again lately) – you might be wondering Is Cabbage Keto?
Not only does cabbage work into a keto diet because of it’s low carbohydrates – but it also can help round out a lot of nutrients keto dieters aren’t eating as they pick produce with less carbs.
Some of the other health benefits of cabbage:
- Cabbage is abundant in several key vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that plays an important role in the proper function of the immune system[*].
- Cabbage, brussels sprouts, and other low carb vegetables are also a rich source of vitamin K.
- Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin, meaning your body will absorb it and receive its benefits better when consumed with a source of healthy fats, such as extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil.
- Vitamin K is a key player in bone health, prevention of blood clotting, healthy brain function, proper metabolic function and has even shown promise in helping protect against cancer[*].
- Along with being rich in vitamin C and vitamin K, cabbage and other cruciferous veggies are abundant in folate, vitamin E and many micronutrients.
- Cabbage also contains high amounts of phytonutrients.
Other Delicious Soups You’ll Love:
If you love this easy and delicious one pot sausage and cabbage soup recipe, you’re going to love some of my other favorite easy soup recipes!
Click each link to find some of my favorite easy and delicious comforting soups:
Tips to Perfect Sausage and Cabbage Soup:
- Don’t skip browning vegetables.
- This soup relies on simple, rustic flavors from the vegetables and herbs – not from tons of crazy ingredients. To get the most flavor, let your vegetables cook down and brown slightly.
- Don’t overcook.
- Don’t leave soup cooking on the stove forever – it will turn to mush! Cook soup to hot, and brown vegetables – but don’t leave simmering.
- Use what you have on hand.
- Don’t have a specific ingredient? Don’t sweat it! This recipe is insanely versatile, so you can swap out something you have for something you dont – or just change up the ingredients to create a cabbage roll soup that you love!
What to serve with Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup:
Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe
If you love this Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil until shimmery.
Add diced onion and cook until softening.
Add in diced cabbage, carrots, garlic, and celery and cook until lightly browned and fragrant.
Season well with salt and pepper, oregano, and paprika.
Stir in kielbasa and let cook another 4-5 minutes until warmed and lightly browned.
Stir in water, bay leaf, and stock and bring to a rapid boil. Let reduce for about 5-10 minutes.
Serve immediately and enjoy!