Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup
Mar 14, 2021, Updated Nov 18, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe – simple, hearty soup packed with tons of flavor thanks to red cabbage and Polish sausage!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup in the Slow Cooker
This hearty and delicious Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup tastes just like a cabbage roll with sausage – but in a rich, comforting hot soup!
I absolutely love cabbage soup in the winter – it is simple, healthy, bursting with flavor – and full of ingredients you can feel good about. It warms you up without making you feel heavy or greasy – and is one of my
This one pot cabbage roll soup is low carb, making this a keto cabbage soup recipe you can eat over and over again without the guilt!
While I am making this easy cabbage and sausage soup on the stovetop, it can easily be made in the slow cooker!
Follow these simple steps to get a delicious Slow Cooker Sausage and Cabbage Soup Recipe:
- Add all ingredients except stock to slow cooker and let cook down, about 2 hours, until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in stock, water, and herbs and cover – cook until piping hot and well combined, about 1-2 hours.
- If freezing, brown the vegetables quickly – so they have a little color – but don’t let them get very soft. Thawing will make vegetables in this soup break down even more, so I recommend only very briefly softening them for flavor – not to get soft – when freezing this easy sausage and cabbage soup.
Is Cabbage Keto?
This cabbage and sausage soup is perfect for a keto diet – but if you’re following the low carb eating plan (my husband has completely changed the way he looks and feels from it, so I have taken it back up again lately) – you might be wondering Is Cabbage Keto?
Not only does cabbage work into a keto diet because of it’s low carbohydrates – but it also can help round out a lot of nutrients keto dieters aren’t eating as they pick produce with less carbs.
Other Delicious Soups You’ll Love:
If you love this easy and delicious one pot sausage and cabbage soup recipe, you’re going to love some of my other favorite easy soup recipes!
Click each link to find some of my favorite easy and delicious comforting soups:
- 20 Minute Creamy Sausage and Mushroom Soup
- One Pot Cheesy Chicken Taco Skillet Soup
- Easy Loaded Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Sausage and Broccoli Cheese Soup
- One Pot Hamburger Cabbage Soup
- Spicy Black Bean Soup
Tips to Perfect Sausage and Cabbage Soup:
Don’t skip browning vegetables.
This soup relies on simple, rustic flavors from the vegetables and herbs – not from tons of crazy ingredients. To get the most flavor, let your vegetables cook down and brown slightly.
Don’t leave soup cooking on the stove forever – it will turn to mush! Cook soup to hot, and brown vegetables – but don’t leave simmering.
Use what you have on hand.
Don’t have a specific ingredient? Don’t sweat it! This recipe is insanely versatile, so you can swap out something you have for something you dont – or just change up the ingredients to create a cabbage roll soup that you love!
What to Serve With Cabbage Soup
This soup pairs perfectly with lots of different sides – some of our favorites are below!
- Khachapuri Georgian Cheese Bread
- Easy Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe
- Bacon and Broccoli Charred Salad
- Easy No Knead Bread
- 10 Minute Broccolini
- Sauteed Zucchini and Squash
- The Best Easy Buttery Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe
- The Best Easy Irish Brown Soda Bread Recipe
This soup can be frozen in an airtight container for up to four months.
Let soup fully thaw in refrigerator before reheating, add to pan and simmer under piping hot to serve.
You can absolutely swap other vegetables, or add up to a cup of other vegetables you love to this soup.
Add a can of rinsed kidney beans to this recipe for a hearty protein packed addition.
Adding beans to the recipe is not considered keto.
You can add 1-2 cups of boiler potatoes, diced into 1″ chunks, for a delicious hearty addition to this soup.
Adding potatoes to the recipe is not considered keto.
Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe
If you love this Easy Cabbage and Sausage Soup Recipe as much as I do, please give it a five star review and help me share on facebook and pinterest!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 head red cabbage, diced
- 1/2 white onion
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper, freshly cracked
- 2 tbsp diced garlic
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 lb smoked polska kielbasa, sliced into rounds
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil until shimmery.
- Add diced onion and cook until softening.
- Add in diced cabbage, carrots, garlic, and celery and cook until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Season well with salt and pepper, oregano, and paprika.
- Stir in kielbasa and let cook another 4-5 minutes until warmed and lightly browned.
- Stir in water, bay leaf, and stock and bring to a rapid boil. Let reduce for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
McCormick Culinary Whole Bay Leaves, 2 oz - One 2 Ounce Container of Dried Bay Leaves for Cooking, Perfect Spice for Stews and Marinades
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid – Dual Handles – Oven Safe up to 500° F or on Stovetop - Use to Marinate, Cook, Bake, Refrigerate and Serve – Blue
WÜSTHOF Gourmet 7" Hollow Edge Santoku Knife,Black
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 342Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 55mgSodium 1681mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 13g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.