Instant Pot Spinach Dip
Feb 03, 2021, Updated Feb 18, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Spinach Dip Recipe – delicious cheesy spinach dip loaded with flavor right from the Instant Pot!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Creamy Instant Pot Spinach Dip
On game day and other events where we host friends and family, space in the oven and the stove can be at a premium. This recipe is designed to free up space and be super-simple – by using an Instant Pot. Instant Pot Spinach Dip is a creamy and flavorful appetizer, effortlessly whipped up in the convenience of an Instant Pot, combining the savory tastes of spinach, cheeses, and seasonings into a rich, comforting blend. Its quick and easy preparation makes it a go-to choice for gatherings, allowing hosts to impress guests with a warm, indulgent dip that pairs perfectly with an array of dippers, from crusty bread to crisp vegetables.
You can whip up this delicious cheesy dip in just a few minutes of active time – it’s soon to become one of your favorite easy dip recipes!
How To Make Spinach Dip In An Instant Pot
First assemble the following ingredients:
- Frozen Spinach (10 ounces) – Frozen spinach offers a convenient and time-saving base for the dip, providing a rich, earthy flavor and a boost of nutrients.
- Sour cream (1 cup) – Sour cream adds a tangy richness, contributing to the creamy texture and depth of flavor in the dip.
- Cream cheese (8 ounces) – Cream cheese lends a velvety smoothness to the dip, making it irresistibly creamy and rich.
- Chicken stock (½ cup) – A splash of chicken stock introduces a subtle umami depth, enhancing the overall savoriness of the dip.
- Salt (1 teaspoon) – Salt is essential for seasoning, bringing out the natural flavors of the ingredients and balancing the dip’s taste profile.
- Garlic powder (1 teaspoon) – Garlic powder offers a convenient way to infuse the dip with a warm, aromatic garlic flavor that complements the spinach perfectly.
- Paprika (½ teaspoon) – Paprika adds a sweet and mild smoky undertone, contributing to the dip’s complexity and color.
- Red pepper flakes (½ teaspoon) – A pinch of red pepper flakes provides a gentle heat, adding a spicy kick that contrasts nicely with the creamy elements.
- Parmesan cheese (1 cup) – Grated Parmesan cheese imparts a nutty and salty flavor, enhancing the dip’s savory character and adding a layer of umami.
- Mozzarella (2 cups) – Mozzarella melts beautifully into the dip, providing a gooey, stretchy texture and a mild, milky taste that rounds out the flavors.
- Chips, Toasted Baguette, or Crudite, optional– for serving
Use this Method
Add Ingredients to Pot. Add the frozen spinach, sour cream, cream cheese, water, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and red pepper flakes to the Instant Pot.
Cook. Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position. Set the timer for 5 minutes. When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position– be careful, it will steam and may splatter! When the Instant Pot has depressurized, remove the lid.
Sauté. Switch the Instant Pot to the Saute-Normal function. Stir the mixture together— it will look curdled at first, that’s totally normal! Just keep stirring until you get a uniform mixture, about 1 minute.
Add Cheese. Next, stir in the parmesan and mozzarella. Cook until the mixture starts to bubble and has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
Serve. This recipe can be made up to an hour in advance and kept warm using the “keep warm” setting on the Instant Pot. Garnish with additional parmesan, if desired. Serve with crackers, chips, toasted baguette, or crudite.
Tips and Tricks for IP Spinach Dip
Use Cream Cheese: Add cream cheese for a creamy base; ensure it’s softened before mixing to ensure smooth incorporation into the dip.
Add Freshly Grated Cheese: Incorporate freshly grated Parmesan or a mix of cheeses like mozzarella and cheddar for better melting and flavor. Pre-shredded cheeses often contain anti-caking agents that can affect the texture.
Season Well: Don’t forget to season your dip with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Fresh minced garlic and diced onions sautéed until translucent can add a more robust flavor.
Use the Pot-in-Pot Method: To prevent burning and ensure even cooking, consider using the pot-in-pot (PIP) method by placing your dip mixture in a heat-safe dish on a trivet above water in the Instant Pot.
Manual Pressure Cook Briefly: If pressure cooking, set to Manual High Pressure for just a few minutes, as the dip doesn’t require long cooking times. Quick release to prevent overcooking.
Stir in Artichokes or Water Chestnuts: For texture and additional flavor, consider adding chopped artichokes or diced water chestnuts into the mix before cooking.
Finish with Fresh Herbs: After cooking, stir in fresh herbs like dill, chives, or parsley for a burst of freshness and color.
Adjust Thickness: If the dip is too thick after cooking, stir in a little milk or broth to reach your desired consistency. Conversely, if too thin, use the Sauté function to simmer and reduce.
Serve Warm: Enjoy the dip warm straight from the Instant Pot, keeping it on the ‘Keep Warm’ setting if serving at a gathering to maintain its creamy texture.
Experiment with Flavors: Don’t be afraid to add variations like a dash of hot sauce, smoked paprika, or a spoonful of pesto to tailor the dip to your taste preferences.
Quick Natural Release: To avoid curdling dairy ingredients, opt for a quick natural release (about 5 minutes) before manually venting the remaining pressure.
Blend for Smoothness: For an ultra-smooth dip, consider blending the cooked ingredients with an immersion blender before serving.
Leftover spinach dip can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave or on the stove, adding a little milk or cream if the dip has thickened too much.
Yes, you can use fresh spinach. However, you’ll need to increase the amount since fresh spinach reduces significantly when cooked. About 10 to 12 ounces of fresh spinach is roughly equivalent to one 10-ounce package of frozen spinach. Make sure to sauté the fresh spinach first until it’s wilted before adding it to the mix.
To prevent a watery dip, make sure to thoroughly drain the cooked spinach. If using frozen spinach, squeeze out as much liquid as possible after thawing. Additionally, using a thickening agent like cream cheese or a bit of cornstarch mixed with the cream can help achieve the desired consistency.
Absolutely! While mozzarella and Parmesan are popular choices for their meltability and flavor, feel free to experiment with other cheeses like sharp cheddar for a bolder taste, or Gouda for a smoky flavor. Just ensure the cheese you choose melts well.
If you don’t have a trivet, you can use a steamer basket or create a makeshift one from aluminum foil rolled up into coils. This will help keep the bowl containing the dip ingredients above the water, preventing them from getting too watery.
Yes, you can double the recipe, but make sure not to fill the Instant Pot more than halfway to avoid spillage or pressure issues. You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly, but it typically doesn’t require a significant change.
Yes, you can prepare the dip ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the dip in the Instant Pot using the “Sauté” function or in a conventional oven until it’s warm and bubbly.
For a dairy-free version, substitute the cream cheese, sour cream, and traditional cheeses with plant-based alternatives. There are many dairy-free cream cheeses and shredded cheeses available that melt well and offer a similar texture and flavor profile.
What To Serve With Spinach Dip
Crusty Bread: Slices of a freshly baked baguette or chunks of artisan bread make for a hearty and satisfying dipper. Try my favorites like Easy No Knead Bread, The Best Air Fryer Keto Rolls and Keto Garlic Artichoke Rolls.
Tortilla Chips: The crispiness and saltiness of tortilla chips complement the creamy texture and flavors of the spinach dip. Try this recipe Easy Fried Tortilla Chips or Easy Keto Tortilla Chips Recipe.
Pita Chips: Oven-baked or store-bought pita chips, with their earthy flavor and crunch, are a perfect match for scooping up generous amounts of dip.
Vegetable Sticks: For a healthier option, serve the dip with sticks of carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cucumber. The freshness and crunch of the vegetables contrast nicely with the creamy dip.
Pretzels: Both soft pretzels and pretzel crisps work well with spinach dip, offering a satisfying salty crunch.
Crackers: Choose from a variety of crackers, such as whole grain, multiseed, or buttery varieties, to add texture and flavor to each bite.
Bagel Chips: Thick and crunchy bagel chips are sturdy enough to hold up to the dip and add a satisfying texture contrast.
Sourdough Rounds: Small rounds of sourdough bread can be toasted for extra crunch, providing a tangy flavor that complements the dip.
Grilled Flatbread: Lightly grilled or toasted flatbread, cut into easy-to-dip strips or wedges, adds a warm and slightly smoky element.
Endive Leaves: For a gluten-free and low-carb option, the slightly bitter taste of endive leaves offers a unique and elegant way to serve the dip.
This spinach dip pairs perfectly with breads, crackers, chips, and even dishes like 20 Minute Creamy Spinach Dip Stuffed Baked Chicken – or try with some of our favorite easy sides like Easy Keto Naan Recipe, Bacon Wrapped Cheddar and Garlic Jalapeno Poppers, and Blistered Shishito Peppers.
You can find our complete Instant Pot Recipe Archives here.
You can find our complete easy dips recipe archives here.
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen spinach
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup water or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional & to taste
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Chips, Toasted Baguette, or Crudite, optional-- for serving
- Add the frozen spinach, sour cream, cream cheese, water, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and red pepper flakes to the Instant Pot.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position-- be careful, it will steam and may splatter!
- When the Instant Pot has depressurized, remove the lid. Switch the Instant Pot to the Saute-Normal function. Stir the mixture together— it will look curdled at first, that’s totally normal! Just keep stirring until you get a uniform mixture, about 1 minute.
- Next, stir in the parmesan and mozzarella. Cook until the mixture starts to bubble and has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- This recipe can be made up to an hour in advance and kept warm using the “keep warm” setting on the Instant Pot.
- Garnish with additional parmesan, if desired. Serve with crackers, chips, toasted baguette, or crudite.
I’m not a fan of mayonnaise in my spinach dip-- i’ve found that it makes the dip a little too rich but if you’re a mayonnaise fan, feel free to swap out half of the sour cream for mayo!
Add-in options: 8 ounces of quartered jarred artichoke hearts, 8 ounces lump crab meat, or 3 slices of cooked chopped bacon are all delicious options!
This recipe also makes a delicious base for pasta. Add 8 ounces of cooked elbow macaroni when you add in the cheeses and thin as needed with pasta water.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
YHOSSEUN Tierd Serving Bowl Set Porcelain Chip and Dip Serving Set 2 Tier Serving Stand Ceramic Appetizer Serving Food Display Stand for Parties, Entertaining Food Service
Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel, 6 Quart
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size about 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 435Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 95mgSodium 1126mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 18g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.