Instant Pot cream of asparagus soup is a delicious and healthy soup that can be made quickly and easily in an Instant Pot.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Pressure Cooker Asparagus Soup
This soup is perfect for a quick lunch or a light dinner, and it’s a great way to use up any leftover asparagus.
To make this soup, you’ll need fresh asparagus, onion, garlic, chicken or vegetable broth, heavy cream, and some basic spices. The Instant Pot makes it easy to cook the asparagus quickly and then blend it into a smooth and creamy soup.
To begin, sauté the onions and garlic in the Instant Pot, then add the chopped asparagus and broth. Pressure cook for a few minutes until the asparagus is tender, then blend the mixture until it’s smooth. Stir in the heavy cream, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.
This soup is also very versatile and can be easily customized to suit your tastes. You can add in other vegetables like potatoes or carrots, or swap out the heavy cream for coconut milk for a vegan version. It’s a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy the flavors of asparagus all year round! We love to serve this with Ranch Pork Chops and Potatoes for a full balanced meal!
How to Make Instant Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil: This is used for sautéing the shallot and garlic, and it adds a rich flavor to the soup.
- Shallot: The minced shallot adds a sweet and subtle onion-like flavor to the soup.
- Garlic: The minced garlic adds a bold, savory flavor to the soup.
- Asparagus: The star ingredient of the soup, asparagus brings a fresh and earthy flavor, as well as lots of vitamins and nutrients.
- Chicken stock: This provides a rich and savory base for the soup. You can also use vegetable broth to make the soup vegetarian.
- Heavy cream: This gives the soup its creamy and velvety texture, making it rich and satisfying.
- Butter: This adds richness and depth of flavor to the soup.
- Salt and pepper: These are used to season the soup to taste, bringing out the flavors of the other ingredients and balancing the overall flavor of the soup.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following process:
- Brown vegetables. Heat the Instant Pot using the Sauté function. Add the olive oil, shallot, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant. Next add the asparagus and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Pressure cook. Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook – Manual for 5 minutes. Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then turn the valve to the venting position to release any additional pressure.
- Blend. Use an immersion blender (or transfer the soup to a high speed blender) and blend until smooth. Add the cream, butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve! Enjoy warm, garnished with roasted asparagus, freshly cracked black pepper, parmesan cheese, or additional cream.
- Store. Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Instant Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
Trim the asparagus properly: Be sure to trim off the woody ends of the asparagus before using them in the soup. The woody ends can be tough and fibrous, so it’s important to remove them.
Use fresh asparagus: For the best flavor and texture, use fresh asparagus in the soup. If you can’t find fresh asparagus, you can also use frozen asparagus.
Sauté the shallot and garlic: Sautéing the shallot and garlic in the Instant Pot before adding the asparagus and broth helps to deepen their flavors and bring out their natural sweetness.
Use an immersion blender: An immersion blender is a handy tool for blending the soup right in the Instant Pot. This saves time and prevents you from having to transfer the hot soup to a blender or food processor.
Adjust the seasoning: Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. You can also add other seasonings, such as dried herbs or spices, to customize the flavor.
Add a garnish: A sprinkle of chopped fresh herbs or a dollop of sour cream can add a nice finishing touch to the soup.
Use the “Sauté” function: After blending the soup, you can use the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot to thicken the soup and cook off any excess liquid. Just be sure to stir the soup constantly to prevent scorching.
Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve. Just be sure to reheat it gently over low heat to prevent curdling.
Yes, you can use half-and-half or whole milk instead of heavy cream if you prefer a lighter soup.
Yes, you can make this soup vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
Yes, you can use a regular blender or food processor to blend the soup, but be careful when blending hot liquids. Allow the soup to cool slightly before blending, and work in batches to avoid overfilling the blender.
This soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Be sure to let the soup cool completely before freezing, and store it in airtight containers or freezer bags.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
Crusty bread: Serve the soup with a slice of crusty bread, such as a No Knead Bread, to soak up the broth and add some extra texture – or try this soup with Buttery Soft Dinner Rolls.
Salad: A simple green salad like Crunchy Lemon Parmesan Salad with a light dressing can balance out the richness of the soup and add some fresh crunch to the meal.
Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts make a great side dish for the soup. The roasted veggies bring out their natural sweetness, which pairs well with the savory and creamy flavor of the soup.
Grilled cheese: Wine Grilled Cheese is a great accompaniment to the soup. The warm and gooey cheese pairs well with the creamy texture of the soup.
Crudité platter: A platter of fresh vegetables such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cucumbers can add some extra crunch and freshness to the meal.
Fruit salad: A fruit salad with a mix of seasonal fruits can add some sweetness and color to the meal.
- Cajun Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- Easy Baked Breaded Chicken
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Chicken Posole Verde
- Instant Pot Chicken Quesadillas
- Air Fried Nandos Chicken Wings Recipe
- Instant Pot BBQ Shredded Chicken
- Air Fryer Naked Chicken Tenders
Instant Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Please also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Click here to see my web story for this recipe!
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube | Pinterest | Instagram
Only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table? Sign up for my 30 minute dinner plans direct to your inbox!
Find and shop my favorite products in my Amazon storefront here!
Instant Pot Cream of Asparagus Soup
Rich asparagus soup made in an instant pot from fresh asparagus and cream.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the Instant Pot using the Sauté function. Add the olive oil, shallot, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Next add the asparagus and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook - Manual for 5 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then turn the valve to the venting position to release any additional pressure.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer the soup to a high speed blender) and blend until smooth.
- Add the cream, butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy warm, garnished with roasted asparagus, freshly cracked black pepper, parmesan cheese, or additional cream.
- Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Sweese 108.001 Porcelain Bowls with Handles - 20 Ounce for Soup, Cereal, Stew, Chill, Set of 6, White
Zulay Premium 12 Inch Stainless Steel Ladle with Comfortable Grip - Soup Ladle with Long Handle and Ample Bowl Capacity Perfect for Stirring, Serving Soups and More - Heavy-Duty Metal Ladle
KitchenAid Variable Speed Corded Hand Blender - KHBV53
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel, 3 Quart
Amount Per Serving Calories 357Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 71mgSodium 422mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 5gSugar 8gProtein 12g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Leave a Reply