Air Fryer Meatloaf
Nov 11, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This air fryer meatloaf is moist and juicy, packed with garlic and herbs, and topped with a delicious ketchup topping. Once you make meatloaf in the air fryer, you won’t want to go back to the oven method!
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Easy Air Fried Meatloaf
When I first got my air fryer I made everything in it. It’s such an amazing kitchen appliance and turns out, it makes an epic meatloaf. After playing around with it a bit I was able to figure out how to make it come out perfectly moist and delicious every time. Don’t forget to check out the tips and tricks below for helpful hints with this delicious dish.
Meatloaf has been around since at least medieval times in Europe. Of course that was before meat could be grinded as finely as it can be today which made for a chewier slice but still one packed with spices, flavor, and protein. This recipe is a modern air fryer twist on an ancient classic.
How to Make Air Fryer Meatloaf
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Plain breadcrumbs – use any plain breadcrumbs for this recipe. You can make your own by putting day-old stale bread into a food processor and pulsing till its all crumbs.
- Egg – egg is essential here to bring the meatloaf together and help it hold its shape.
- Milk – I use the milk to soak the bread crumbs and soften them so you don’t get a bite of dry breadcrumbs. Use whole milk.
- Minced onion – Onion adds an earthy bite to the meatloaf. I like to mince the onion so I don’t end up with big chunks of onion that can overpower the meatloaf. I use yellow onion but white onion would work well too.
- Parsley – I use fresh parsley for an aromatic fresh flavor in your meatloaf.
- Minced garlic – use fresh minced garlic for a fresh intense bite. If you don’t have fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder will work too.
- Worcestershire sauce – Worcestershire sauce enhances the rich meaty flavor of the meatloaf.
- Kosher salt – I use a fine grain kosher salt here to season the meat well.
- Cracked black pepper – pepper gives a little heat to this meatloaf, you can add more if you want your meatloaf a little spicy.
- Dried Italian seasoning – Italian seasoning is basically a mix of equal parts thyme, rosemary, oregano, and basil. If you don’t have any pre-mixed on hand just make your own.
- Ground beef – this is a meatloaf so we need beef. I like using beef because it is so rich in flavor and has a good amount of fat that will make the meatloaf moist.
- Ground pork – pork has an even higher fat content than beef so I like to add some to make a juicier meatloaf. If you don’t want to use pork you can use more beef in an equal amount.
- Ketchup – ketchup is the perfect flavor base to help bring the meatloaf together and to make the sauce that will slather the top.
- BBQ sauce – BBQ sauce adds a bit of tanginess and sweetness to the topping. You can use any bbq sauce you want.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, we will use the following method:
- Step 1 – Mix the breadcrumbs, milk, and egg in a large mixing bowl. Let it soak for a minute then add the onion, parsley, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Step 2 – Add the ground beef and pork gently mix to incorporate the seasonings into the meat well. I usually use my hands for this. Shape the meat into a log that’s about 8 inches long and 3 inches thick and place in the air fryer.
- Step 3 – Cook the meatloaf in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. While it’s cooking, in a small bowl mix the ketchup and bbq sauce together.
- Step 4 – After 20 minutes, spread the mixture over the meatloaf and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165?.
- Step 5 – Remove the meatloaf from the air fryer and slice to serve, enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Air Fried Meatloaf:
Check out these tips and tricks for a killer air fryer meatloaf.
Wrap it in Bacon. Everything tastes better with bacon. You can wrap your air fryer meatloaf in bacon before cooking for some extra protein and to make it extra delicious.
Make sure the air fryer is preheated. To use an air fryer effectively you need to be sure to preheat it before putting the meatloaf in. Be careful setting it in there too since the tray will be hot.
Can I substitute turkey for beef? – Turkey has a lot less fat than beef. If you substitute ground turkey for the ground beef I would definitely include some ground pork for added fat, moisture, and richness. It will also cook for a few minutes less.
What’s the best way to keep leftovers? Store any leftover meatloaf in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
What to Serve With Air Fryer Meatloaf
For more of our recent favorite side dishes, check out some of the following:
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork (optional – or swap for beef)
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, egg, and milk.
- Next add the onion, parsley, garlic, worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, black pepper, and italian seasoning. Mix to combine.
- Add the ground beef and pork. Very gently mix to incorporate the seasonings into the meat. You don’t want to compact the meat or it will result in a tough meatloaf.
- Shape the mixture into a log (about 8” long, 2” tall, and 3” thick) and carefully place it in the air fryer.
- Cook at 375F for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup and bbq sauce. Spread the mixture over the meatloaf.
- Cook the meatloaf for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove the meatloaf from the air fryer and slice it into thick (1”) slices and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
Lea & Perrins The Original Worcestershire Sauce (10 fl oz Bottle)
ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer Large LCD Backlight Food Grill Thermometer with Timer Mode for Smoker Kitchen Oven BBQ, Silver
Lillie's Q - Smoky Barbeque Sauce, Gourmet BBQ Sauce, Sweet Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce, Mild Smoky Flavor, All-Natural Ingredients, Made with Gluten-Free Ingredients (21 oz)
TACGEA Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs, Silicone Non-slip Grip, Locking Grilling Food Tongs Set of 2, 9-inch & 12-inch
Ninja DZ550 Foodi 10 Quart 6-in-1 DualZone Smart XL Air Fryer with 2 Independent Baskets, Smart Cook Thermometer for Perfect Doneness, Match Cook & Smart Finish to Roast, Dehydrate & More, Grey
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 385Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 127mgSodium 521mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 32g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.