Sticky Honey Soy Ham
Apr 04, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A sticky honey soy glazed spiral ham is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for special occasions, such as Easter or Christmas dinner.
Don’t want all the extras in a recipe post? We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
Table of contents
Spicy Sweet Sticky Glazed Spiral Ham
A sticky honey soy glazed spiral ham is a mouth-watering dish that is sure to be the centerpiece of any special occasion. This sweet and savory ham is a delicious and easy-to-make recipe that requires minimal preparation and yields fantastic results.
The spiral ham is a popular choice for its tender and juicy meat, which has already been sliced into spirals, making it easy to serve. The honey soy glaze is what takes the ham to the next level. This glaze is a perfect balance of sweet and salty flavors that coats the ham with a sticky and caramelized layer, adding extra depth and richness to the meat.
To make a sticky honey soy glazed spiral ham, the ham is first coated with the glaze and then baked in the oven until it’s heated through and the glaze has caramelized. The glaze infuses the meat with its flavors, making it deliciously moist and tender. The result is a succulent and flavorful ham that is sure to impress your guests.
Serving a sticky honey soy glazed spiral ham is easy and simple. You can present it on a platter and garnish it with fresh herbs, such as rosemary or thyme, to add a pop of color and flavor. You can also serve it with a variety of sides, such as Garlic Chinese Style Green Beans, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, baked Greek beans, or a green salad. The leftover ham can be stored in the refrigerator and used for sandwiches or other recipes.
How To Make Sticky Honey Soy Glazed Spiral Ham
To make this ham, you will need the following ingredients:
- Spiral cut ham: the main ingredient! It’s a precooked ham that’s been sliced in a spiral pattern for easy serving.
- Soy sauce: adds a salty and savory flavor to the ham. It also helps to tenderize the meat.
- Honey: provides sweetness and helps to balance out the salty soy sauce. It also helps to create a sticky glaze on the ham.
- Sweet chili paste: adds a sweet and slightly spicy flavor to the ham.
- Chinese five spice powder: adds a warm and slightly sweet flavor to the ham. It also adds depth to the sauce.
- Garlic: adds a delicious and pungent flavor to the ham.
- Green onions and sesame seeds: adds a fresh and vibrant flavor to the dish. They also make for a colorful garnish.
Here are some things to know about making a sticky honey soy glazed spiral ham:
- The ham: A spiral ham is a pre-cooked ham that has been sliced into thin spirals. Look for a high-quality ham that is not too salty, and choose the size based on how many people you plan to serve.
- The glaze: The glaze is what gives the ham its sticky and sweet flavor. For a honey soy glazed ham, you will need honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. You can also add other ingredients, such as orange juice, Dijon mustard, or apple cider vinegar, to customize the flavor.
- The cooking: To cook the ham, preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Place the ham in a roasting pan and brush it with the honey soy glaze. Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 10-12 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F (60°C). Baste the ham with the glaze every 20-30 minutes.
- The presentation: To serve the ham, transfer it to a serving platter and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve the remaining glaze as a sauce on the side.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Sticky Soy Ham & FAQs
Choose the right ham: Look for a pre-cooked spiral ham that’s bone-in and about 7-8 pounds in weight. This will ensure that the ham is flavorful and juicy.
Score the ham: Use a sharp knife to score the surface of the ham in a diamond pattern. This will allow the sauce to penetrate the meat and make it more flavorful.
Use fresh garlic and ginger: Use fresh garlic and ginger instead of dried to enhance the flavor of the sauce.
Adjust the spice level to taste: Add more or less red pepper flakes depending on your preferred spice level.
Baste the ham frequently: Baste the ham with the sauce every 15-20 minutes to ensure that it stays moist and flavorful.
Let the ham rest before serving: After cooking, let the ham rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute.
Garnish with green onions: For a finishing touch, garnish the ham with chopped green onions and optionally, sesame seeds. This will add color and texture to the dish.
Yes, you can use a slow cooker for this recipe. Place the ham in the slow cooker and pour the sauce over it. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Then, transfer the ham to a baking dish and bake in the oven at 400°F for 10-15 minutes to caramelize the sauce.
Yes, you can double the recipe if you have a larger ham or if you want leftovers.
Yes, this sauce would work well on other meats such as pork tenderloin, chicken, or salmon.
Yes, you can use low-sodium soy sauce if you prefer. However, you may need to adjust the seasoning to taste.
Cook the ham for 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the preheated oven, or until heated through. Then, increase the oven temperature to 400°F and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce is sticky and caramelized.
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it in the oven when ready to serve.
Yes, you can use a different type of ham, but be aware that the cooking time may vary depending on the size and type of ham you choose.
What to Serve With Sticky Honey Soy Ham
Dinner rolls: The Best Yeast Rolls are always a favorite at holiday dinners like Christmas and Easter – and our Parker House style Buttery Soft Dinner Rolls are easier to make than many recipes, with a twist that helps even beginner bakers!
Coleslaw: A tangy and crunchy Easy Coleslaw made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and a vinegar-based dressing would provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and savory ham.
Cornbread: Sweet and savory cornbread would be a great accompaniment to the spicy and sweet ham.
Fruit Salad: A simple fruit salad made with fresh seasonal fruits like berries, pineapple, and melon would provide a refreshing contrast to the rich and savory ham.
For more of our favorite side dishes, see our recent favorites below:
Sticky Honey Soy Ham Recipe
If you love this easy recipe please click the stars below to give it a five star rating and leave a comment! Pease also help me share on facebook and pinterest!
Follow on Instagram
CONNECT WITH SWEET C’S!
Be sure to follow me on social media and get in on all the fun!
- 1 spiral ham (about 9 pounds, bone-in, 6 pounds boneless)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup runny honey
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- sliced green onions, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sweet chili paste, Chinese five spice powder, and garlic powder until well combined.
- Place the ham in a large baking dish or roasting pan.
- Pour the soy honey mixture over the ham, making sure to coat it evenly.
- Cover the ham with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until heated through.
- Remove the foil and baste the ham with the sauce from the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°F and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce is sticky and caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and let the ham rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and, optional, sesame seeds before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra expense to you.
The Spice Way Shanghai Chinese Five Spice - A Traditional Chinese 5 spice seasoning ( 2 oz ) for Asian style dishes with the Chinese staples including pepper. All-purpose, No preservatives, No Salt
Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce 32OZ (Pack of 2)
All-Clad E7649764 HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Roaster Cookware, 13-Inch by 16-Inch, Black
USA Pan Bakeware Square Cake Pan, 9 inch, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
Webake Enamelware 9x13 Baking Pan Oblong Cake Pan Enameled Steel Roasting Pan Baking Dish Lasagna Pan Food Containers, Solid White with Blue Rim
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 64Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 5mgSodium 657mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 0gSugar 12gProtein 3g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.