Easy Single Serve Keto Microwave Brownie in a Mug Recipe
If you’re craving chewy, gooey, rich and chocolatey brownies on a keto or low carb diet, this is for you – this easy single serve microwave brownie in a mug recipe takes under 1 minute (or just 10 minutes if baking). Gooey, rich, buttery brownies that are keto and paleo diet approved and have no added sugar for a low carb keto dessert the whole family will love!
Since switching to a super low carb keto diet this fall, my husband has lost a shocking amount of weight – and I’ve finally found some success managing chronic pain I deal with thanks to an immune disorder. Going keto wasn’t easy – and missing delicious desserts was a definite sad spot for me!
This super easy, crazy chocolatey Easy Single Serve Brownie in a Mug Recipe has been a huge cravings-buster for me – it is quick, easy, ooey, gooey, and totally delicious – fast!
If you’re looking for a low carb brownie – or a keto diet brownie – or even just wondering how to make a microwaveable brownie in a mug that doesn’t contain flour and added sugar, this super simple keto brownie recipe is for you!
I was looking to make a delicious PB2 Brownie Recipe – and after a ton of testing, this easy keto brownie came out on top. And who can argue with a brownie you can make at any time of day in just a few minutes? Single serve brownies in a mug are perfect when the craving for an indulgent dessert hits – and it won’t break your low carb or keto diet!
Just take me to the keto brownie recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, i think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy low carb keto brownie recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
To Make This Easy Keto Brownie You’ll Need:
- Cacao Nibs
- Microwaveable or Oven Proof Mug– This recipe can be made either in the microwave OR the oven – be sure to pick a mug that is appropriate for either!
- PB2 (or other brand) Peanut Butter Powder
- Dehydrated peanut butter has less fat, less calories, and way less carbs – it is one of my favorite new finds to get delicious peanut butter flavor in baked goods (I also LOVE it in smoothie bowls!!!). You can find PB2 or other brand peanut butter powder in most health or natural foods stores – or order it here.
- Almond Flour
- Almond flour, unlike almond meal, is fine, fluffy, and soft – and ensures a delicious texture that is light and airy. You need almond flour instead of almond meal, or it will have a clumpy and slightly sandy texture.
- Coconut Flour
- A delicious coconut flour is mandatory here – coconut meal or shredded coconut won’t work. You need a fine coconut flour, for the flavor and the texture. Coconut meal will be lumpy and grainy, like sand. Order my favorite here.
- Lemon Juice
- This is NOT optional – if baking with both baking soda and coconut or almond flour, you NEED lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or another acid to change the mix to not be so neutral, or it will taste like ammonia! If you’ve ever wondered why keto baked goods sometimes taste like ammonia, it’s because it often isn’t balanced with acid and has become too neutral in base. I’ve ruined multiple recipes trying to skip the acid addition – do not skip it!
Other Easy Keto Recipes You’ll Love:
If you love this easy keto brownie, you will love these other delicious, easy keto recipes too! Click each to head to the easy printable recipe:
And be sure to check out my list for The Ultimate List of Low Carb Easy Meals For Paleo and Keto Diets – you can see some of the out of this world delicious low carb recipes in this quick video – please click the video below to see! Not every recipe is keto approved (some have fruit, which is generally not allowed in Keto diets, but all the recipes will work in either paleo or keto and are great for those just looking to go low-carb.)
Tips to a Perfect Easy Keto Microwaveable Brownie in a Mug
To make this easy microwaveable (or oven baked) keto brownie, there are a couple things to ensure a delicious, craving-crushing dessert. My best tips are below:
Don’t skip the acid.
When baking (or microwaving) with baking soda and a fattier flour like coconut or almond flour, you NEED to counteract the neutral base with an acid – or it will taste like ammonia!
For every tablespoon of baking soda you use, add a tablespoon of lemon juice (my first choice for its light and neutral flavor), vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. This step is ESSENTIAL – after testing this recipe a couple times without the acid, I can tell you, it is NOT optional. I couldn’t even swallow one bite without it – it tasted like pure ammonia. A little lemon juice, however, and it was divine!
Microwave or Oven – Both as Delicious!
I actually don’t own a microwave in our house (don’t worry, I’ve tested this recipe thoroughly in my in-law’s microwave – another benefit of living next door to them!!) – so I am including an easy baked method as well.
Baking only adds about 8 minutes to this recipe – and does give a slightly crunchier crust around the edges, which I love. But to be perfectly honest (as someone who hates the taste of microwaved food), they are both fantastic and quick, either way!
Easy Single Serve Microwave Brownie in a Mug Recipe Buying Guide
Find the Serving Items I Used:
While I am linking to affiliate linked items through Amazon and Etsy (I get a small commission at absolutely no extra charge to you) – these are NOT sponsored in any way. I just love these cute items and thought you might, too!
Sugar and Cloth Serving Items
My super sweet friends Ashley and Jared from Sugar and Cloth recently launched a whole party goods and housewares line on Amazon Home – and I am OBSESSED with it! All of the fun and bright Sugar and Cloth colors (have you seen their color wall? SWOON!) are so fun for parties.
They have fun, interchangeable disposable flat wear, paper plates, and bright napkins (plus ceramic bowls and an adorable pitcher and glasses).
PNW Enamelware Mugs
Easy Single Serve Keto Microwave Brownie in a Mug Recipe
If you love this Easy Single Serve Microwave Brownie In a Mug recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Or you can sign up for my totally free email newsletter to get my favorite easy meals delivered straight to your inbox, daily and be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram – or join the Sweet C’s Facebook group where you can share your favorite recipes, lifestyle tips, travel – and just fun stuff!
- 3 tbsp chocolate pb2 peanut butter powder
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp truvia
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp water, if needed to thin
- Add ingredients to mug.
- Stir well, making sure batter is mixed well.
- If batter is very thick, add 1/2 tsp water to thin. Batter should be similar to pancake batter.
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until risen and puffy like a souffle.
- Bake for 10 minutes - until cookie has risen and is slightly browned on top.