Who doesnt love spaghetti or fettuccine on a busy night? Its such an easy dish to make we end up making it all the time. Sometimes though I am looking for something a little heartier and a little less messy, so I came up with a way to make spaghetti in one pot.
Not only is my One Pot Pasta Casserole easy (and easy to clean), but it is more flavorful than plain old pasta because the noodles cook in the sauce to really soak in the flavor and let them combine. It’s a great trick to add to any busy home cook’s repertoire!
After reading one of my favorite blogs, Number 2 Pencil, I realized someone else has used my trick to get super flavorful pasta- LET IT COOK IN THE SAUCE!
Melissa came up with a technique to make One Pot Chicken Alfredo that looks divine. You can see it here.
Since we aren’t draining and rinsing the pasta, the starch will become a thickening agent to make it just like a casserole- without all the added cheese or binders.
This will work with gluten free or regular pasta. If you use gluten free (like I do), you may have to add just a little more water since the rice starches are pretty thick and soak up water well.
- 1 package spaghetti or fettuccine, regular or gluten free
- 1 can pasta sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound ground italian sausage
- 1 small package button or other mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- In a large pan, brown italian sausage and diced onions.
- When almost brown, add mushrooms and oregano.
- Continue to cook until sausage is fully browned.
- Add pasta sauce and 1 1/2 cans of water.
- Add spaghetti or fettuccine and cover.
- Stir after 5 minutes to be sure pasta is immersed in water.
- Let the water and sauce cook down until thick, about 10-15 minutes.
- Uncover and remove from heat, let stand and thicken for 5 minutes.
- Serve with grated Parmesan or fresh basil and enjoy!